NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finding M13

The last few nights have been the clearest I've had in months, and after some good views of the moon and Saturn, thought I'd aim for M13 around midnight as it's in the right direction from my garden.

With my stock 25mm EP, I thought I could make out a very faint smudge, but struggled with my 8mm. Should it be easy to spot?

Would the near-full moon (which was nearby) be drowning it out, or more likely just my aim was off? I did have to bend my body into a strange shape to look through the finder scope! I am considering getting a Telrad.

Bending the body into 'a strange shape' is my nemesis, too. Got a RACI for the Skyliner but now struggling with my Qwik Point on the frac. Finding it very frustrating. Had some reasonable conditions two nights ago but couldn't be sure what I was seeing.

Returned inside feeling cheated.

But I WILL get it sorted somehow ...

Hope you get sorted, too.

The last few nights have been the clearest I've had in months, and after some good views of the moon and Saturn, thought I'd aim for M13 around midnight as it's in the right direction from my garden.

With my stock 25mm EP, I thought I could make out a very faint smudge, but struggled with my 8mm. Should it be easy to spot?

Would the near-full moon (which was nearby) be drowning it out, or more likely just my aim was off? I did have to bend my body into a strange shape to look through the finder scope! I am considering getting a Telrad.

Your far northerly position, plus a bright moon, together with June skies, will all have contributed to a poor view of M13.

It will get much better later in the year, when the nights have drawn in a bit, and if you can try when the moon is not up.  Best not leave it too late in the year, because M13 will be low in the west after dark, I'd go for August or Sept.  In the right conditions, M13 is a ball of stars, and a sight to behold.  Make sure that you focus carefully, best to focus on the two nearby 7th mag stars that are either side of M13, and try a mid to high power, 100 - 200x, after finding it at low power first.

HTH, Ed.

Thanks for the advice. I knew the bright moon wouldn't help matters, but after waiting weeks for a clear night, thought I should take a chance. I did manage to see Saturn, so that more than made up for the disappointment of missing M13!

Thanks for the advice. I knew the bright moon wouldn't help matters, but after waiting weeks for a clear night, thought I should take a chance. I did manage to see Saturn, so that more than made up for the disappointment of missing M13!

Well I know what you mean, hard not to observe on any clear night we happen to get  :smiley: even if far from ideal conditions.

Regards, Ed.

A small tip.

M13 is a high surface brightness DSO and takes magnification well. Don't be afraid to push power up.

When looking for fainter stars this can really help as it darkens the sky background considerably. Using high power can turn a granular, mottled looking fuzzy ball into a globular cluster of individual stars.

Clear skies. :)

I love the look of M13. On an equatorial mount it is quite high up in the sky so I'm virtually on my knees looking through the eyepiece- Thank god for right angled eyepieces. I agree that the last few observing nights have not been very good. Even though the stars have been showing from my location there has been annoying thin cloud which washes out the view. I don't think it is dark enough or cold enough to either give good views or clear the air but I can't wait for the autumn. M5 is quite nice as well & take a look at M57 (should be quite bright) & M27 (nice smudge of light).

Happy hunting!

I love the look of M13. On an equatorial mount it is quite high up in the sky so I'm virtually on my knees looking through the eyepiece- Thank god for right angled eyepieces. I agree that the last few observing nights have not been very good. Even though the stars have been showing from my location there has been annoying thin cloud which washes out the view. I don't think it is dark enough or cold enough to either give good views or clear the air but I can't wait for the autumn. M5 is quite nice as well & take a look at M57 (should be quite bright) & M27 (nice smudge of light).

Happy hunting!

Happy hunting to you too  :smiley:

Even if the observing conditions are not the best, it's still rewarding to be out under the stars.  With the light evenings of summer, I have the moon and planets that can be well seen, and loads of double and multiple stars hardly affected by the light evenings ( or light pollution ).   The brighter deep sky objects are ok as well, and the fainter ones can wait till Autumn.

Just enjoy what you can see, and it's better than watching the telly.

Regards, Ed.

Archived