Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pros and cons of mounting a dslr directly onto a Baader Hyperion ep?

Hi folks,

One of my eyepieces is a Baader Hyperion, which has a thread for a t-ring. So... if I wanted to I could mount my DSLR directly onto this lens for photography. I've never tried this, but I've noticed that pretty much none of the other ep makers offer the same feature.

Is there a good reason why the other manufacturers haven't added a thread for a t-ring? I wonder whether it's not considered a great way to do imaging, or is there some other reason?

Of course, I might be missing something - do any other ep makers have a thread for a t-ring?

I realise the obvious thing for me to do is to try imaging with it - and when the skies offer the opportunity I will do just that, but I really am an absolute beginner when it comes to imaging, so my results won't really give me any indication of the true value of the arrangement.

Many thanks

Wishing you clear skies and warm feet

Tony

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my 5x Powermate and DSLR all the time together. As to your other question well that's what makes TeleVue so innovative. They simply think better and see with better eyes.

Hi Tony,

The Hyperion lenses have an M43 thread, not the same as T-2, you will need an adaptor.

The method you describe is known as eyepiece projection and can be used to good effect... although more generally used for terrestrial photography, such as wild life etc.

It can be used to good effect with planetary/lunar photography though.

The only problem you may have, especially for planetary, would be image size... you may find you need to include an extension between the adaptor and the t-ring which will increase the available image size.

see attached PDF... 2nd setup from the left at the bottom.

There are other eyepiece manufacturers that include a threaded section but they may not all be the same size/thread form, however, the majority of astrophotographers tend to connect directly to the focuser without the use of an eyepiece... i.e Prime Focus Mode.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

hyperion_overview.pdf

I use my 5x Powermate and DSLR all the time together. As to your other question well that's what makes TeleVue so innovative. They simply think better and see with better eyes.

Powermates look nice ... really nice :smiley: One day...

Hi Tony,

The Hyperion lenses have an M43 thread, not the same as T-2, you will need an adaptor.

The method you describe is known as eyepiece projection and can be used to good effect... although more generally used for terrestrial photography, such as wild life etc.

The only problem you may have, especially for planetary, would be image size... you may find you need to include an extension between the adaptor and the t-ring which will increase the available image size.

see attached PDF... 2nd setup from the left at the bottom.

There are other eyepiece manufacturers that include a threaded section but they may not all be the same size/thread form, however, the majority of astrophotographers tend to connect directly to the focuser without the use of an eyepiece... i.e Prime Focus Mode.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thanks, Sandy. I guess I was looking for the extra magnification that the ep gives over prime focus. Maybe a better way is to use prime focus and crop/digital zoom?

Some of the Revelation eyepieces also have a T-ring thread.  I've never done it myself, but it does seem that many images taken this way suffer a little from chromatic aberration.  That may well depend on the quality of the eyepiece in use though.

James

Thanks, Sandy. I guess I was looking for the extra magnification that the ep gives over prime focus. Maybe a better way is to use prime focus and crop/digital zoom?

I think you might be better off using a decent quality barlow and if necessary a 1.25" to T adaptor for the camera.  What were you thinking of using this arrangement for imaging?

James

I think you might be better off using a decent quality barlow and if necessary a 1.25" to T adaptor for the camera.  What were you thinking of using this arrangement for imaging?

James

I'm just considering my options at the moment. Ultimately I want to do planetary and deep space imaging, but I'm working on figuring out what I can do with the gear I have and what my upgrade path is. The joy of planning gear purchases. (And the joy of getting the best out of the gear I've already got) :smiley:

Here you go.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

8mm Baader Hyperion with a directly attached Canon 60D. Video crop mode. I don't know why we don't see more of it. It's very straight forward to do.

The image looks great. I'm still figuring out video crop mode and what to do with the vid files created by the Canon.

The image looks great. I'm still figuring out video crop mode and what to do with the vid files created by the Canon.

You run the files through PIPP, then you stack them in Autostakkert 2 then tweak them in Photoshop. The first two are free downloads.

Here are some images I did with my Zoom Hyperion and eyepiece projection.

All images with MY 80ED and Canon 60Da.

The Double Double

Polaris double star

Jupiter

Nice images! Many thanks for posting them - I definitely need to try this. I don't have the zoom, though. It looks pretty neat.

I'm just considering my options at the moment. Ultimately I want to do planetary and deep space imaging, but I'm working on figuring out what I can do with the gear I have and what my upgrade path is. The joy of planning gear purchases. (And the joy of getting the best out of the gear I've already got) :smiley:

For DSO imaging putting the camera directly on your 200P will be more than ample I'd imagine.  For planetary it may well be worth a try, but I still think the barlow and 1.25" adaptor will give better results.

James

For DSO imaging putting the camera directly on your 200P will be more than ample I'd imagine.  For planetary it may well be worth a try, but I still think the barlow and 1.25" adaptor will give better results.

James

That's reassuring - I've not tried any DSO imaging yet, so I look forward to trying it this way. It's nice to keep it simple, so I like the prime focus option. I guess with planetary imaging I should just try my different available options and see how they come out.

You run the files through PIPP, then you stack them in Autostakkert 2 then tweak them in Photoshop. The first two are free downloads.

Thanks for that - presumably you use pipp to convert .mov to .avi?

Here are some images I did with my Zoom Hyperion and eyepiece projection.

Just a thought - the Baader sell a special barlow for the Hyperion zoom - can it be used with a standard barlow?

Hi Tony, The Hyperion lenses have an M43 thread, not the same as T-2, you will need an adaptor. The method you describe is known as eyepiece projection and can be used to good effect... although more generally used for terrestrial photography, such as wild life etc.It can be used to good effect with planetary/lunar photography though. The only problem you may have, especially for planetary, would be image size... you may find you need to include an extension between the adaptor and the t-ring which will increase the available image size. see attached PDF... 2nd setup from the left at the bottom. There are other eyepiece manufacturers that include a threaded section but they may not all be the same size/thread form, however, the majority of astrophotographers tend to connect directly to the focuser without the use of an eyepiece... i.e Prime Focus Mode. Hope this helps. Good luck and best regards. Sandy. :grin:

It has always puzzled me why Baader decided to use an M43 thread rather than a T2/M42

I was going to purchase one several years ago. I purchased a TV 6mm Radian or 3-6mm Nagler zoom instead.

I bought the adaptor for eyepiece projection but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I have some extension tubes and can put my filter slider in line after the EP which should help get the right projection factor.

I only bought the zoom eyepiece so I would have something really portable, it will be nice if it turns out to be good for imaging too :)

I imagine that this is a good option if you are unable to achieve prime focus with the DSLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Canon 600D on a Baader Hyperion Zoom. The main disadvantage is that you have a bulky lens and camera attached to the focusser and it can be wobbly.

On the other hand, you can get some excellent results :

post-20390-0-63122900-1402352738.png

That's a great image, Mark. Yes, I wondered about the weight of the Hyperion Zoom, but couldn't find it documented anywhere. Do you happen to know its weight? My Hyperion ep is pretty heavy, but I get the impression the zoom is a fair bit heavier.

Cheers

Tony

I have a 925 SCT and decent DSLR, plus T-ring and adapter so can connect my (Pentax K5) DSLR. I also have a Hyperion 10mm eyepiece.... so what you're saying here sounds good to me if I've understood correctly. Am I right to think there's another nice little adapter I can get that will let me get bigger images into my DSLR - such that a planet looks more than just a dot (or a dot ring a ring round it if I'm pointing a Saturn!!) ? Advice much appreciated - may as well get the best out of what I've already got! Cheers

That's a great image, Mark. Yes, I wondered about the weight of the Hyperion Zoom, but couldn't find it documented anywhere. Do you happen to know its weight? My Hyperion ep is pretty heavy, but I get the impression the zoom is a fair bit heavier.

Cheers

Tony

The BH zoom weighs about 370g, nearer 400g with a couple of extension tubes. If I use a coma corrector that takes it up to about 500g.

The Barlow for the BH zoom weighs another 50g.

The BH zoom weighs about 370g, nearer 400g with a couple of extension tubes. If I use a coma corrector that takes it up to about 500g.

The Barlow for the BH zoom weighs another 50g.

Thanks, Mark - I'm a little surprised! My BH 8mm lens (one of the heavier ones) weighs in at about the same at 370g (measured roughly), so it seems the zoom doesn't carry a weight penalty.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but does the zoom really require the special Baader Zoom barlow lens, or can I use it with any standard 1.25" barlow? I suppose that also raises the question of what if you want 3x or 4x etc.?

Many thanks

Tony

Archived