Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astigmatism (the eye, not the eyepiece)

Scott

So,I went to the optomitrist to see if contacts were an option for me (turns out no) and during our conversation, he happens to mention that I have astigmatism in both eyes, with the right being the worst. Although I mainly image, I still get the little dob or bins out whilst the imaging is happening.

I've noticed that the stars are stretched when viewing in the dob but I always put it down to cheap ep's. My concern now is, will I always be looking for this now and if I eventually lash out on the tele vue I've always wanted, is there any way to correct it without wearing glasses (I hate wearing them at the ep).

Don't really know why I'm posting this, other than it's kinda shocked me that no optician has ever bothered to tell me, and I'm a bit worried it will deteriorate to the point where astronomy will no longer be possible?

These are the Tele Vue EPs that are usable with Dioptrx.

Long Eye-Relief Tele Vue Eyepieces that Accept DIOPTRX™

Plössl 55, 40, 32mm

Radian all

Panoptic 41, 35, 27, 24*, 19mm* (*requires DEA-0001 adapter)

Delos all

Nagler Type 4 22, 17, 12mm

Nagler Type 5 31, 26, 20mm* (*requires DEA-0001 adapter)

Nagler Type 6 all*  (*requires DNA-6000 adapter)

Ethos all

These are the Tele Vue EPs that are usable with Dioptrx.

Long Eye-Relief Tele Vue Eyepieces that Accept DIOPTRX™

Plössl 55, 40, 32mm

Radian all

Panoptic 41, 35, 27, 24*, 19mm* (*requires DEA-0001 adapter)

Delos all

Nagler Type 4 22, 17, 12mm

Nagler Type 5 31, 26, 20mm* (*requires DEA-0001 adapter)

Nagler Type 6 all*  (*requires DNA-6000 adapter)

Ethos all

Matthew, thanks so much for this information, nice to know theres something that can get around the problem the problem. Just a little shocked atm. :(

I went along a more drastic route.
I HAD astigmatism and had laser surgery a little over three years ago.
It has completely transformed my observing and ease of using a camera.  :grin:

Are you sure the stretched stars are due to astigmatism in your eye and not the scope? Have you tried rotating the eyepiece (to see if it's the eyepiece) or your head so you end up looking thru the eyepiece at a different angle (to see if it is your eyes)?

I use televues dioptrx. However astigmatism shows up more on the wider field eyepieces so depending on your prescription you might be able to do without something to correct it with the higher powers.

The dioptrx are easy to use, but it's something else to focus which I'd prefer to do without. Nevertheless I prefer it to wearing glasses. Also with the Delos I can have the eyeguard fully up whilst using the dioptrx because I can adjust the eye relief. If I use the dioptrx with the nagler I need to have the dioptrx eyeguard down to get the full FOV, which means my eye is very close to the lens.

I'm new to this hobby and all, but I have some pretty messed up eyes and I wouldn't say I have had any problems seeing through a telescope.  Who knows, maybe since my eyes have always been bad, what I'm seeing is normal to me and most people would think it looks terrible.  I have astigmatism in both eyes along with keratoconus (basically my corneas are cone shaped and thinner in areas) which really distorts my vision.  I also am able to where contact lenses, soft toric lenses even...no can do on the lasik though, as I'm told the laser will burn right through the thin layer of my cornea.

Lasix is laser eye surgery to treat  astigmatism.er types of refractive surgery, the LASIK procedure reshapes the cornea to enable light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina for clearer vision.

In most cases, laser eye surgery is pain-free and completed within 15 minutes for both eyes. The results — improved vision without eyeglasses or contact lenses — can usually be seen in as little as 24 hours.

A number of vision correction surgeries are available, such as PRK and LASEK laser eye surgery and phakic IOL surgery.

Your eye doctor will determine if laser eye surgery is suitable for your condition and, if so, which technique is best.

article-lasik-off.jpgarticle-lasik-off.jpg
Want a visual? View our LASIK slide show!

How is LASIK Surgery Performed?

First, your eye surgeon uses either a mechanical surgical tool called a microkeratome or a femtosecond laser to create a thin, circular "flap" in the cornea.

The surgeon then folds back the hinged flap to access the underlying cornea (called the stroma) and removes some corneal tissue using an excimer laser.

This highly specialized laser uses a cool ultraviolet light beam to remove ("ablate") microscopic amounts of tissue from the cornea to reshape it, refocusing light entering the eye for improved vision.

For nearsighted people, the goal is to flatten the cornea; with farsighted people, a steeper cornea is desired.

Excimer lasers also can correct astigmatism by smoothing an irregular cornea into a more normal shape. It is a misconception that LASIK cannot treat astigmatism.

After the laser reshapes the cornea, the flap is then laid back in place, covering the area where the corneal tissue was removed. Then the cornea is allowed to heal naturally.

Laser eye surgery requires only topical anesthetic drops, and no bandages or stitches are required.

Archived