Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Funny/Weird stars? - (coma? Collimation? guiding?

Hi since i have been guiding i have been looking back on my subs and all the starts seem to have this weird trailing in them, at 1st i thought it was down to collimation as it was well out, but i have now collimated it nicely and still getting this same effect no matter what the exposure or ISO i use. I am using a DSLR with SW 130-pds (no coma corrector), HEQ5, EQMOD, PHD (QHY5L-ii)

Here is a whole frames

5min

14290286312_62bd8ab479_o.jpg5 min sub by tingting44, on Flickr

Here are some crops

15sec top left

14269115516_7287e9d533_o.jpgfunny stars - Crop (top left corner) - 15 sec ISO6400 by tingting44, on Flickr

5min top left

14105606380_17055b6f5c_o.jpgfunny stars - Crop (top left corner) - 5 min ISO200 by tingting44, on Flickr

10min top left

14290263562_3a860ff7c7_o.jpgfunny stars - Crop (top left corner) - 10 min ISO100 by tingting44, on Flickr

10min center

14105602108_60c4494d5c_o.jpg10 min sub - (Center crop) by tingting44, on Flickr

as you can see exposure makes no difference, if any one can shed any light on to this situation it will be most grateful :)

No coma corrector = loads of coma (which is what you have there!)

Get a corrector, its mandatory for imaging with a newt (even with small cameras), SW or Baader its up to you.

Edit: But I would lean towards the Baader, since it offers more connection options.

i felt my 200 PDS was un-usable without a coma corrector, i purchased the sky watcher coma corrector which is produced specifically for this range of scopes.

yes its pretty unusable with subs like this :( now that ive got past the 1st stage of getting guided subs, i want decent guided subs now lol

CC's are not cheap tho, is the SW 0.9x one ok?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

yes its pretty unusable with subs like this :( now that ive got past the 1st stage of getting guided subs, i want decent guided subs now lol

CC's are not cheap tho, is the SW 0.9x one ok?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

thats the one i use, i was pretty dissapointed to have to spend another £100 to make the scope usable

thats the one i use, i was pretty dissapointed to have to spend another £100 to make the scope usable

yes there not cheap are they :( with postage and M48 ring its nearly the same price as the 130-pds :(

yep, I have exactly the same, stars look like little Pacman ghosts in the corners, hopeing for a CC for my birthday...

the DREDDED pacman :( nightmare isnt it, how long you got to wait till your birthday? get me one too lol :)

Good coma correctors (well astrophotography in general) are not cheap I'm afraid- if you're planning to use a Newtonian for AP then you need to budget for a coma correct AND good quality collimation tools.

On the plus side a quality coma corrector (and the collimation tools) are like eyepieces and could be used in different scopes if needed. I'm able to use mine in my different Newtonians.

Archived