Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Afocal Saturn

CJ77

Just thought I'd share this image. Ok, it'll never win any prizes, but it is the first time I'd ever seen Saturn with my own eyes, and it's a quick iPhone afocal snap :-) A wow moment...ypu3ybu4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I think that's great as I've tried to get Saturn on my iPhone loads and normally end up with just a bright blob. What scope and eyepiece did you use? To get it biggish for the camera I now try SW 4mm UWA EP on my Heritage 130p which is about its limit where I live.

I went out last night and got a much better shot than my normal bright blob. The only difference is the mount. I was using the Heritage Dob style mount which must have brought in vibration when the phone touched the EP. I'm now using an EQ mount which is much more stable.

post-37300-0-59977400-1406318881_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Digger1895,

I use a Celestron Nexstar 127 Mak (1500mm focal length), and for that snap I used a 6mm eyepiece, so it was at 250x mag. If I'm honest, I took a video at the same time which got much better clarity - I think there is a large element of shaky hand syndrome at work here  :grin: I do like your pic though! Its an amazing sight..... 

JessicaFaye:

Keep trying - I have a north-facing garden, so the planets are a rare sight for me, but very rewarding once you hit them  :smiley:

Well done for 'bagging' Saturn CJ! Your 'WOW' moment will be the first of many I am sure. I can distictly remember exclaiming out loud, "Oh wow!" the first time I saw M13 (The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules) with a high power ep in my C8. :smiley:

Archived