NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ROI Meaning?

Your camera has a "full frame" of 1280 x 960 pixels.  When you set an ROI you only use a section of this full sensor. Something like 460 x 380 or 250 x 252.  It helps to keep the frame rate high as you are only collecting data from a small portion of the sensor.  For an object like Mars you really don't want to be downloading an awful lot of black background - it just slows down the data transfer.

I thought it was "Return On Investment"... you clicked it to get more clear nights so that you don't feel like you have wasted your hard earned cash on a hobby that is somewhat frustrating weatherwise...

ROI makes a huge difference to capture frame rates. i do like the way Firecapture allows the user to select ROI (e.g. 480x320) and then in one click go to 1280x960 i use the huge full size if i am popping in doors for a while, that way the object is still on the chip after 10 minutes even with a rough polar alignment.

Once again the penny drops!

I see now why using ROI made the subject (Mars) move across the screen so quickly. Presumably you could use the reverse of bunnygod's switch to first get the subject onto your screen more easily and focused using the higher (larger) dimensions and then switch down to the smaller for final focusing and imaging?

Thanks  

Firecapture is a great piece of software, if you run your mount via a laptop eqmod, you can set up the tracking option, keeps the object centred in your ROI. Also running at 16bit helps the quality of your images. But be warned, you will easily fill a hard drive in one night! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived