Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will I need to upgrade my EPs when I get a new scope?

Hello,

I'm on the verge of getting a new scope (current thoughts are either a Revelation or Orion Optics 10in Dob). I'm still saving up at the moment, so the actual purchase is a little way off for now, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on whether my EPs will be suitable. I recently bought 1.25in Revelation 9mm, 20mm and 32mm Plossls (which are a great improvement over the standard EPs that came with my current scope – a skywatcher 5 inch newtonian). Will they be okay with a 10 inch Dob? I've read a lot about these being 'harder' on EPs ...

Here's a link to the 20mm EP on Telescope house: http://goo.gl/NbreoJ

Obviously, if no good for the Dob I'll need to bundle them for sale with my current scope, and budget for replacements (I've heard lots of good things about BST items).

Cheers,

Kev.

Hi Kev, my advice is to get the scope first, try out your existing ep's in it and get used to using/handling the scope.  If you need any further ep's later then you can consider that, with the additional knowlege of what the scope can handle and what objects you like to view.  Plossl's are good to start with, the Tele Vue Plossl's are geared to working with faster scopes down to f/4 -  can be bought from Telescope House, so these are best.  Yes, the larger, faster scope will require careful choosing of ep's as faster scopes are harder on budget ep's, consequently, any purchases will be more expensive.  But see how you get on, and good luck!

faster scopes are more demanding on eye pieces,you are correct on that,but i would suggest,get your new scope first and try your eye pieces on the new scope.Plossls are not that bad eye piece at the end of a day.Obviously there are better ones out there in likes of Televue Plossls,but i wouldn't urge you to go out now and splash your money on new eye pieces.get the scope,try it and see yourself what you like and what you dont.never tried any of BSt`s,but i am not that sure if they will perform great on a fast scope.

I use Revelation Plossls on my SkyWatcher 200P dob and they are very good if you are happy with the 52 degree view.

Plossls are great on planets, but can become a little bit frustrating on the moon and larger objects which need a wider view.

The Revelation scope comes with the 9mm plossl already, and the 30mm eyepiece with the 2-inch fitting.

The 30mm is a 70-degree eyepiece, and you will notice the difference to your current 32mm.

If you get the Revelation scope, you can sell the eyepieces with your old kit to pay for something like a 20mm Maxvision 68o

A 20mm or 16mm MaxVision will fit in nicely with your new 32mm and 9mm eyepeices.

1250mm focal length = 39x / 62x / 139x

You will need quality 70or 82eyepieces around 180x or 200x at a later date.

But I would hang on until you can afford Explore Scientific / TeleVue or similar.

The 70-degree Pentax 7mm will give you 178x magnification.

The ES 82-degree 6.7mm will give you 186x magnification.

The 70-degree Delos 6mm will give you 208x magnification.

The MaxVisions should be better than the BST's, but I would check to see if they can handle F5 OK before buying.

In the meantime the Revelations will work fine for you at the lower magnifications.

Even your old 20mm Plossl should work well on the new gear.

Hi Guys,

Yep, the fact that the Revelation scope comes with the EPs already is likely to be the influencing factor, and it means that I can bundle my current EPs with my current scope.

I can't tell you how much the excitement is building!

Cheers,

Kev. 

I am going to say Yes you will.

Perhaps not at the time you get the scope, as in delivered the same day, but I think you will want to quite soon afterwards.

The included items are often just so that you can use the scope, and therefore are really only for that purpose.

I will say that with a 10" scope the eyepieces that come with some can be a step up from the bog standard items, sometimes they are reasonable plossl's on a scope of that diameter. Do Orion provide one or two EP's ??

Usually overlooked but the scope is the first step. With a scope as in 10" you are looking at a collimator and I seriously suggest at least 4 eyepieces before you are "kitted out".

If you keep and own only the 10" scope I would be pretty sure that after a year you will very likely have spent more on eyepieces then the cost of the scope. I can look over at a pile of eyepiece on a shelf that alone are over £1200, the others sets are out of sight upstairs. My grab and go cheap half set is £180, maybe £200. And I don't buy expensive eyepieces,

Start with the ones you have, but be prepared. Especially if some "well meaning" person lets you use an ES or TV of theirs.

For the sake of your bank account, avoid any eyepiece that is Green. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi all, and thanks again for the feedback.  The Orion scope comes with only 1 EP (a 25mm Sirius Plossl), whereas the Revelation scope comes with 2 (a 1.25in 9mm premium Plossl and a 2in 30mm widefield superview).

I'm pretty certain now, though, that I'll be selling on the EPs I already have (at least once I've tried them in the new scope.

Cheers,

Kev.

Kev, try them, and see what you think. Opinions on eyepieces seem to vary a lot - I read various reports saying that the BSTs worked well through to were awful in the 250px. I find them acceptable - others may not.

Hi Andy, yes, I'll definitely give mine a go before deciding to pass them on or not. I do agree, though, it would be lovely to have some definitive info on eyepieces, but I guess it's just too subjective a topic, and people's setups/scopes/particular observing interests are so varied.

Cheers,

Kev.

In all truth the main differences between eyepieces relate to field of view and eye relief. There certainly are differences between quality of brands and you'll notice there's a little more sharpness or a little more contrast or a little less chromatic or other aberration but in general, you'll still see everything with a cheap eyepiece that you will with a very expensive one. Expensive eyepieces are a luxury really and don't get me wrong I have them, like them and would not go back but you don't have to spend £00's. Some superb quality eyepieces can be had for <£50 used.

Thanks Moonshane, that's very reassuring.

The main thing for me now is just to carry on saving for the scope, then deal with the EPs later.

Kev.

Archived