Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tycho

astroavani

The Tycho crater (43.3 ° S , 11.2 ° W ) usually takes a life of success and sympathy. Bright streaks radiating from this lunar crater 85 km in diameter make it to be easily recognized and one of the most impressive features located in southern lunar hemisphere. Visually it is . Still thought of as one of the most prominent craters of the lunar soil shown here in this image , Tycho is something less impressive if you look at the mission LOLA topographic data , because the ejection of material which causes the characteristic rays of this crater has a reduced thickness . The rays are bright and visible in the images of visible light , because Tycho is a relatively young crater. According to the data collected during the Apollo 17 mission, which descended over 2000 miles away from Tycho , it is estimated that its age is only 108 million years . As time passes , the climatic conditions of outer space , make the rays become fainter , making them less prominent .

The average depth below the rim is 4700 meters. It has a central peak rises to 2400 meters in the center of the crater . The Tycho crater and around part of the lunar highlands south.

Source : Blog Cienctec

Lovely image.

I'd rotate it 180 degrees before presenting though....it's a common optical illusion that makes the craters look like dimples. My vision is certainly affected by this...once I downloaded and rotated the image "upside-down" I could see the crater in all it's glory.

Great image

Lovely image.

I'd rotate it 180 degrees before presenting though....it's a common optical illusion that makes the craters look like dimples. My vision is certainly affected by this...once I downloaded and rotated the image "upside-down" I could see the crater in all it's glory.

I didn't realise this until reading your post. Sure enough - turn it upside down and it goes from dome to crater to my eyes

Archived