Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pillars Of Creation - Attempt #2

StuartJPP

I imaged this target last year on holiday in Fuerteventura (same place and almost a year ago to the day) but I was so giddy the first time that I only spent a few minutes on each target, hopping around like a kid in a candy store.

This time around I focussed on a target for a longer duration (1 AstroTrac cycle before rewinding, which, after rechecking focus and timer delays works out to about 1.5 hours worth of integration time). I don't think I will gain much by adding more subs of the same duration, I would have to go deeper as well as getting some shorter subs to retain some star colour.

Anyway, enough waffle and hopefully this is an improvement over last year's effort, though not as much as I was hoping (link below for comparison):

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/186403-my-version-of-the-pillars-of-creation/

Although I could easily see the MW, it was quite light polluted being a "tourist" area. One day I will hire a car and get further away from the LP...though it is nice to "sneak" out of the hotel loaded with kit just after midnight and sneak back in just before dawn.

Details:

AstroTrac TT320X-AG (unguided)

Baader modified Canon 650D with Astronomik CLS-CCD LPS Clip filter

Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens

58x 90 second lights at ISO800

20x darks

20x flats

20x bias

There is a bit of flare on a few troublesome stars, I'd prefer not to image with the LPS filter on which makes them worse but it was necessary.

Uncropped full size image is available in the following link (though it is a bit fuzzy) or mid-size by clicking on the image:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/14228681811_21c27fbd17_o.png

14228681811_6aeab5f3b1_b.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula by StuartJPP, on Flickr

100% crop of the core

gallery_27141_2587_623839.png

Thanks again for looking...comments and criticisms appreciated.

Archived