Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abell 2151 how much app is needed?

18" mirror eh? my 13ethos + powermate gives me 314x but its the sky and seeing that will conquer this. the 21E (194x powermated!) seems a more realistic option. yes Danny lynn could be the place,great link steve, thanks

Photographically a 10" or smaller scope should do it with ease.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216803-full-moon-extreme-dsos/

Indeed overkill. I was looking at the neighbouring Abell2199 in Hercules on Friday and getting mag 16.5 galaxies in an 80mm scope in 60s. I'm too embarrassed to post the pic as the darks weren't playing ball so it looks like a bag of multicoloured glitter has fallen all over the cluster... but this and AGC2151 are on my list for the next clear night.

Estwing, optically, Harrington's Cosmic Challenges book has Abell 2151 listed under Monster Scopes (15" and above -- so you're OK then!). As far as I can see, the brightest member is mag 13.5 and measures 0.8 ' x 0.8' but there must be 30+ within reach of your scope on a good night. I'd love to hear how you get on.

Are there still some decent dark sites in the Staffordshire Moorlands? I spent a lot of my youth thereabouts  :smiley:

Martin

I had a look at this last night with the Lodestar-C and have posted an image here

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217328-abell-2151-hercules-galaxy-cluster/

I'm going to take a 'proper' look purely visually at some point. It will be interesting to calibrate how much of this (or more) you can see in the dob.

Ah Longnor... a good ratio of pubs to inhabitants  :smiley:

Martin

Just having a think as you do...the practical guide to astronomy says "you will need a powerful scope to see this"...Discuss

A powerful scope and a modicum of talent . Take someone along and you should be ok ;)

Sorry Calv, couldn't resist. I'd say that scope of yours would be just the ticket and one day I'M gonna look through it :D.

Archived