Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ARGH MY EYES!

SlyReaper

So yeah, just spent some time in my back garden doing some stargazing and marvelling at my view of Saturn.  I come back inside and turn on the lights and ARGH THE PAIN.

Wowzer.  So, I guess I'm not alone in feeling the sting of turning the lights back on after a stargazing session?

I have a sort of  natural neutral density filter built into my right eye from

years of Moon gazing.

Stars are an order of magnitude dimmer if I view them  right eyed :grin:.

Just a variation on your theme SlyR :smiley:

Ron.

So yeah, just spent some time in my back garden doing some stargazing and marvelling at my view of Saturn.  I come back inside and turn on the lights and ARGH THE PAIN.

Wowzer.  So, I guess I'm not alone in feeling the sting of turning the lights back on after a stargazing session?

Yep it may happen after a prolonged time in darkness :-) I also get the same feeling when turning on the lights early in the morning. 

I imagine it like if the "aperture" and "gain" of our eyes are set to gather more photons when in low light (in fact, after your eyes adapt to darkness, you can even notice more subtle details on celestial objects), and as soon as you go back to a bright area your eyes will suffer of over exposure :-D

I also get the same feeling when turning on the lights early in the morning. 

I don't.  My bedside lamp uses an energy saving bulb that takes a while to reach full brightness.  I have always been extremely grateful for this feature.  Alas, my living room light does not have this feature. 

I cheat and flick the outside light on when packing up. Takes a couple of minutes to get to full brightness, which is about right after the big bits are back in their box and I'm down to eye pieces..

When i come inside after being out for a couple of hours, i use the white LEDs on my head torch to slowly bring my eye back up to a certain level of brightness. Most of the time when i do come in, i am just about ready for bed so i dont bother switching on kitchen light etc. 

Archived