Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20% off PST this weekend

Luke

Just a heads up that Telescope House have 20% off some Coronado solar products this weekend. At time of writing, they still have stock of the PST. Something to consider is that Lunt is bringing out a well priced pressure tuned 50mm scope, and there is also the new Daystar Quark hydrogen-alpha "eyepiece," so whether it's worth paying the extra for those, or getting the PST on a good price...

http://telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Solar_Telescopes__56.html

Still far too much for what they are , if they hadn't put on that £100+ price hike I might have been tempted.

I think that the LS50 and Quark will see the demise of the PST very soon so expect further reductions before they disappear.

Largely irrelevant to me though as I can't afford either or at present ...  :sad:

Steve's right, they will have to drop the price of the PST permanently once the Lunt 50 hits the market. Lunt will have to discount the LS35 to sell old stock before it goes as well.

I don't think official pricing across Europe is in yet for Lunt 50 and with Lunt Europe controlling the prices the difference in the UK is higher than it is in the US even after taking into account shipping and import duty, so perhaps it will still leave a price gap at the lower end?

The Quark is a more sensible price comparison, if you bought one in the US and then paid shipping and import duty/VAT you would be near enough to the same price as the UK. Again it is still more than a PST, plus you need a suitable scope.

Robin

With regards the Quark I think it works out cheaper to buy from scsastro rather than import it. - but in the scsastro newsletter they said the price is going up from the 15th of this month (extra £100).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

At least TH are doing their bit though, it's more like a 200 quid price hike isn't it.

I'm certain mine was brought at just under or around £500 which is honestly where an entry level scopes pricing needs to be. Obviously the original pricing proved that it was a successful price point, so much so that they figured they can profiteer on it to the tune of £200.

Call me a cynic if you like  but I'm glad I got mine at the original pricing and with a good deal for the mod equipment I ended up with a Stage 1 PST mod for £770.

Out of curiosity are any of the current entry level scopes better than a Stage 1 mod?

The LS50 and Quark will have to be pretty good to compete with a good PST mod so don't write off the PST yet, specially s/h. The attraction, to me, of the Quark is that it is useable on scopes of any reasonable focal ratio compared to the ideal F10 of a PST mod which gets quite large physically at 5"-6" aperture, It could also prove easier to use photographically or with a binoviewer. :smiley:

It certainly is interesting times! I think there are quite a few unknowns at the moment.

What will be the settled UK price of the Lunt 50? The prices quoted by Lunt of $799 (B400) and $899 (B600) are "introductory."

Just how good is the Quark? I have no real idea how, say, the Quark Chromosphere on an ED80 would compare to a Lunt 80 double stack. I will do a review when my Quark Chromosphere arrives and hope to compare it on my 66mm scope versus a double stacked SolarMax 60. Though the main reason I am getting the Quark is for the bigger scopes...

Will the Quark's price change much? Will it affect the pricing of Coronado and Lunt scopes?

It looks like the Telescope House offer this weekend is only on the PST with case, or the PST with the Malta mount (and no case) although the case is on offer as well. There is no discount, as far as I can see for the PST without a case or for the double stack PST.

Nice spot Luke 20% is a good discount :smiley:

Whichever way you look at it the benefit will be with us :smiley: A cheaper solar experience for all that want it.

Lets just hope the Quark delivers comparable results and is as reliable as it sounds.

Solar max 90mm £5,000 (starting at)

Skywatcher Equinox 80mm with Quark £1100 (No ERF req)

Skywatcher Evostar 100mm with Quark £1200 ( not sure about the ERF)

No brainer in my book :laugh:

I was hopeful of seeing one at IAS, but SCS are not going.  There is at least one other Daystar dealer going to IAS and SCS weren't listed as been at Astrofest and there was someone there showing Daystar products.

Interesting about the price hike, I can't find anything anywhere else at it been an 'introductory' offer.

I am not sure the Quark will be a PST killer, anyone new to solar Ha is more likely to buy a PST than a Quark, just because it is easier, smaller, needs less gear and quicker to get going.  The Lunt 50 on the other hand will be serious competition.  I am willing to bet the PST out sells the Lunts 10:1 at the moment, that will change.

Luke, the price of the Lunt 50, expect it to be in the same ratio as the other scopes.  A Lunt 60 PT with 1200 blocking filter is £2,095 in the UK and $1,896 in the US.  Based on this I reckon you can take $ for £ on the Lunt 50 and you won't be far wrong.  A PST at around the £600 mark is far enough below to be still attractive.

Robin

Hi,

Just seen this post from Moonshane on another thread (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208750-lunt-solar-telescopes-incoming/page-4).

'just got an email from Lunt in Germany :

the new LS50THa/B600 will be available expected in July / August this year.

Price in Europe will be 1135.00 EURO including VAT. Shipping cost to UK will be around 10 EURO.'

Looks like Lunt Europe have taken the same ratio ($ to £ + plus 10%) as for other Lunts.  At this price it won't kill off the PST and it might not even kill off the LS35.

Robin

Archived