Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is LED lighting leading to MORE Light Pollution?

laser_jock99

According to some German research it could:

http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=141547&CultureCode=en

This is an example of a “rebound effect”, a case where higher efficiency due to technological innovation actually leads to greater consumption rather than reduced energy use. The scientists point to the case of the UK between the years 1950 and 2000 as an example: even though lamps became twice as efficient at producing light, per capita electricity consumption for lighting in the UK increased fourfold.

Some of those points are bang on, where i live it is like a cul-de-sac with only 3 houses but for some reason they decided we need 2 really bright street lights. Waste of energy plus polluting the sky around my house with horrible light :(

Yes I have thought that there could be some credence to this. Afterall more energy efficient = lighting can both be bright & that there can be more of them, a win win situation in the wrong sort of way.

Archived