NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Argo Navis and Servo Cat or are there alternatives?

Does anyone have any experience of Argo Navis and Stellar Cat goto drives?

Am planning what to splurge on and a big dob seems the only sensible option for me. A DSC system is mandatory as far as im concerned, if I'm going to spend a few grand on a scope makes sense to have reliable positioning ability, but whilst the goto and tracking of the Servo Cat would be nice, its not cheap. Does anyone have any experience using this system and is it worth the cash? Are there any alternatives?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but seemed the best fit :)

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would like to know what scope is it for? If its your skywatcher 250PX you can try and source so called upgrade kit for it.Costs about 400 quid and basically you get a new go-to base to mount your scope on.

If thats for completely different scope or home made scope,alternative to Argo navis is Sky Safari system.I think Faulksy has it so he will be the best to speak to and he will be able to advise where he got it from and how it works.

I found it here:http://www.hubbleoptics.com/GoTo.html 

Its for the scope I'm planning on buying. Looking for an 18inch dob if I can stretch to it (20 if I'm extremely lucky!) and want to fit some form of dsc and possibly goto if its worth it.

hi, if you want the best accuracy you want the astro devices nexus system, its push to, it uses 2 encoders and wireless connection to a android device or apple, you use sky safari as the data base and it is so accurate  you wont believe it, you can add drives as well, but with it being push to like mine theres no noise and its as quick as you can push it, scoot (richard) told me about the system and he loves it as much as me

If you get the servo cat, Argo Navis version I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it as this is the system I've been looking at for my 20" Dob.

What make Dob are you going for?

you can add stellar cat to my system steve, and the data base is larger, a lot cheaper as well. have a look at the link me and scoot put up

I quite like the look of the Nexus system aswell but I'II wait till Oddfest II and have a look at Faulksys to see if it will fit the Sumerain. :)

it will fit quite easy just a small v bracket for alt, azy is easy peasy, sorry to the op its your thread, :smiley:

its even better using a bigger screen such as an IPAD - :)

I've been using a ipad mini for a while with a double sheet of red rubylith covering the screen, I find its easier on the eyes than using a red light and sky atlas, basically its the same as these guys use (scroll down a bit) http://www.faintfuzzies.com/ObservingAids.html . I think adding a Nexus set up is the next step!

I've been using a ipad mini for a while with a double sheet of red rubylith covering the screen, I find its easier on the eyes than using a red light and sky atlas, basically its the same as these guys use (scroll down a bit) http://www.faintfuzzies.com/ObservingAids.html . I think adding a Nexus set up is the next step!

I've just relied on the night vision mode in sky safari but it doesn't matter much where I view from in my garden as its not that dark anyway.

If you get the servo cat, Argo Navis version I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it as this is the system I've been looking at for my 20" Dob.

What make Dob are you going for?

Its a toss up between sumerian and lukehurst. Depends how much cash I get in my payout from work.

Have been in touch with both. Seems the Sumerian alkaid is likely to be too compact to accommodate

A goto system (kids pressed reply button for me mid typing!!)

Canopus may work though.

Was looking at the lukehurst ultra portable range but aperture fever is gradually convincing me to sacrifice portability and storage and go for the bigger standard design if I can afford it.

Feel free to discuss though peeps, the more the merrier :)

depending on budget, why not go for the 00 20" with 1/10 mirrors, looovvveeelly

Out of interest I looked at the price a few weeks back £7200 or thereabouts before shipping!!!! Thats insane!!!!!

Archived