Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's Saturn Jim but not as we know it

MartinB

Having warmed myself up on the moon I had my second ever attempt a Saturn - I overwrote all my shots during my 1st attempt. The telescope was blowing in the breeze, saturn was doing a jig and the objective was dewing up. No cassini division but I'm just happy I can make out the rings. :lol: Some individual images looked better but I've not sorted out how to use registax manually yet. Oh well, can only get better.

image.jpg

Hi Martin. I'm going to assume you are using Registax for this? And also I am going to assume that you do not know about the RGB shift option? (in the WAVELET part of the process - on the far right of the screen) And also I am going to assume that you then do not know it has an Estimate Shift option in the RGB shift?

Well, you do now :lol:

post-12835-133877318072_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. It's a steep learing curve but I think I am making progress. Still having some problems with sorting out getting the files to the computer. Have spent half the day trying to get to grips with registax. Have sussed quite a bit but there are some areas esp on the wavelet section which are mind blowing. Thanks for the advice on RGB shift, eventually sorted out how this works.

I'm working with too few frames, the image jumps and smudges all over the place. I have to track manually but I think the seeing was a bit of a problem as well. Next clear sky and I'll be having another go :lol:

Martin

Martin

Were you using a barlow?

And if so was it achromatic?

I have found in my (very) limited experience that some barlows are not as well corrected for CA and so the image has colour fringes that make it harder to get a clean image.

Cheers

Ian

Were you using a barlow?

Ian

I was using a Celestron Ultima x2 barlow with a Lidl 70mm frac. Think the scope is the culprit but now Arthur has pointed me to the RGB shift control in Registax I can sort it better.

Martin

Well done mate! First attempt is pretty good. The rings are there and I'm sure that you could squeeze a little more detail out by using some of the tips listed below.

Especially I would suggest manually going through the frames and selecting the best for stacking and then the RGB shift will help no end!

Ant

Were you using a barlow?

Ian

I was using a Celestron Ultima x2 barlow with a Lidl 70mm frac. Think the scope is the culprit but now Arthur has pointed me to the RGB shift control in Registax I can sort it better.

Martin

Martin the ultima barlow is a decent bit of kit so it is probabley the scope.

That a great image with a 70mmm scope.

Archived