Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Informed televue planetary and Mars filters are discontinued

These filters have received fine reviews on this site. Last night I used the Mars B and was impressed. Two nights ago I tried the planetary on Saturn (works wonderfully on Jupiter)and was shocked at the clarity and how well it brought out the colors of the planet. So, I decided to complete the set and purchase Mars type A given the reports below. Opt said that they no longer had the filter because it was being discontinued but telescopes.net had a few left in stock and also informed me that it was no longer be produced. Need not say more if you intend to get these filters.

I am surprised to learn that the Televue Planetary filter has been cancelled. I had placed an order on one of these several weeks ago. However there are currently none available, though from what I understand, Televue had informed the retailer that new stock will be available again this Month? I cancelled the order anyhow as this information was a bit none specific and had begun to question how viable it would be (particularly at the cost) anyhow by the time or if for that matter it was ever received.

The TV site mentions the Mars B and the Planetary in their product list, but the Mars A  is not there.

The writeup says that the Mars A and the Planetary are somewhat similar.

Is it that all the filters are being ceased or just the Mars A - possibly because it is relatively similar to the planetary ?

I am unaware if other companies make similar filters - most others like lumicon sell various color filters for planetary viewing. I was told by opt that Televue is not producing them anymore because they don't sell.  And, telescopes.net said they had a few left in stock and don't anticipate getting anymore.  I guess someone could get the info directly from televue.  Who knows better? 

I agree - the planetary is so outstanding on both Jupiter and Saturn that I bought both mars A & B.  I like the B and awaiting to try the A hopefully tomorrow (it also received good reviews on this site).  I don't like viewing with color filters - too many and so artificial looking but so far the TV planetary filters are terrific - much more naturalistic and comfortable viewing.  Now I find without these filters the planets are too bright and less interesting.  Hope they are not discontinued now that we all picked up on them - hope TV gets the message and produces them.  Maybe their expense is a factor but they are definitely worth it . 

I have been aware of the Mars filters for about 4 years but it was only your post Allen that made me realise that the planetary was even available. I don't think many people picked up on these until you made that first post, now it would apaear there is a bit of world wide awareness, from UK to Australia and N America. I can't even get one, well so far anyway.

Alan.

If they truly are all going to be discontinued, I'd strongly recommend you order one of the planetary ones from the US, Alan. I don't think you will regret forfeiting the extra shipping costs.

Aaron

Arron,

Getting anything from the USA here is a waste of time, the customs go out of their way not to help and it would work out cheaper flying to England and buying one. You never know one may turn up one day.

I will keep trying though.

Alan.

I know that telescopes.net has some in stock as I was there yesterday. They list price for $ 120. but was told they are not getting anymore. If I meet up with the rep from televue who does show up at some of our star parties I ask him what is going on or if someone calls TV they will certainly get the low down on the status of the filters.

Archived