NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader VIP Barlow

Stu

Having recently acquired this Barlow, and had a couple of sessions with it I thought I would write up my thoughts about it.

I recently sold a PowerMate which hardly ever got used, and bought this with the intention of using it with a Leica ASPH Zoom.

The VIP is a modular system based around T2 fittings, and with the single optical element has plenty of options to adjust the spacing allowing for different multiplying factors. This is the one confusing part for me currently, trying to work what the relationship between the spacing and multiplying factor is.

As said, the Barlow is a highly modular system which is very flexible once you get the hang of it.

These pictures show the assembled unit, and then it broken down into all of it's components.

uda7ara6.jpg

upy8e6et.jpg

From right to left they are:

1.25" to T2 adaptor. This is also threaded to accept the Barlow optical cell which is next to it.

jesazate.jpg

2 x 15mm T2 spacers

T2 threaded 1.25" reducer with compression ring fittings

T2 spacer ring

se3ana9y.jpg

The components can be assembled in different ways to vary the spacing between Barlow element and the eyepiece.

gy6evatu.jpg

umyga7ut.jpg

putebupu.jpg

The other benefit is how, when in the shorter formats which I believe is x2 magnification, the Barlow fits within a 2" holder.

I have fitted my Zeiss 2" Prism with a ClickLock adaptor and you can see how it accepts the VIP very neatly. With more spacers attached to give higher multiplying factors it is still fairly compact. The beauty of it is the T2 fittings allow mix and match of any suitable adaptors.

7a8epu5a.jpg

eze5egad.jpg

aru2ura8.jpg

y9ebumap.jpg

So, from my experiences with the VIP in both the Vixen 150ED and the TV76, I am really delighted with the performance. It is basically undetectable in the light path in the same way that a PowerMate is, but obviously does extend the eyerelief of eyepieces. I have found this to be a positive benefit when using Orthos, particular at the shorter focal lengths. I have spent several sessions with the Barlow always fitted, enjoying the additional magnification and eyerelief during planetary and double star observations, the Orthos giving lovely crisp, sharp and contrasty views.

I will post some more thoughts after further sessions but to date I am very impressed.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review Stu - interesting piece of kit  :smiley:

What impact, if any, does the VIP barlow have on the focal point of eyepieces ?.

I've found some barlows need quite a lot of inward focuser movement which can cause headaches if you don't have that available.

Thanks for the review Stu - interesting piece of kit :smiley:

What impact, if any, does the VIP barlow have on the focal point of eyepieces ?.

I've found some barlows need quite a lot of inward focuser movement which can cause headaches if you don't have that available.

I'm not totally sure John, I will check next time I use it. Both the 76 and Vixen have a fair amount of travel so I haven't had too many issues although I did run out of travel with one configuration.

Will report back....

Stu

Thanks Stu  :smiley:

I was interested in a TMB 1.8x barlow which are reputed to be about the best there is optically but I've read reports that they require a full 50mm of additional inwards focuser travel over a regular barlow, which would stump many newts I reckon :undecided:

Thanks for the review Stu.

Since I havent got mine yet I'II let you do all the head scratching in figuring out what spacers to use but please let me know!  :grin:

My Baader MPCC was the same, brilliant bit of kit but it came with zero instructions and because it was new there was very little info about it on the net!

Interesting piece of kit Stu. I like Baader astro kit and bought this barlow for my Hyperion zoom - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-barlow.html

However, its more at home screwing into the bottom of my 13mm Ethos, 10mm Delos and 8mm Ethos which I now use as my high powered EPs. In addition the T mount adapter screws into my Canon 50D DSLR camera for photos of the Sun with the Herschel Wedge.

Stu I look forward for further info on this Baader barlow.

Maybe this is already known to you, Stu, I post it just in case.

The picture is Andreas Braun's Leica+VIP combination:

attachicon.gifLeica_ASPH_Baader_VIP_Barlow_Variations.jpg

Andreas explained the barlow combination in this page:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4235705/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/7/vc/1

Thanks very much! That image is very handy, and whilst I've read a few of the CN posts by Andreas, I'd not seen that one, great.

I do think the quality of the VIP is right up there with the best, will report more once I've had further viewing.

My goal is to end up with a Leica ASPH, still working on it!

Stu

Here is what I found with the spacing on my Baader/Zeiss Barlow.

Spacing      Amplification

0                    2

15                  2.2

30                  2.4

40                  2.6

55                  2.83

70                  3.1

HTH

Spacing Amplification

0 2

15 2.2

30 2.4

40 2.6

55 2.83

70 3.1

HTH

Is that the Zeiss Abbé Barlow or the VIP? I was looking at the Zeiss but no one seems to have any stock!

The multiplying factors vs spacing seems different?

Also I notice that Andreas uses a shortened 1.25" to T2 adaptor. Are these available or has he had his shortened especially? It's useful for when it sits within the 2" ClickLock holder.

Stu

Stu,

In the link attached above, on page 6, Markkus Ludes discussed adaptor with first few users, from what I can tell, the present T2 adaptor is about 25mm long, as Andreas proposed there, and it feels actually a little shorter than Andreas' homemade adaptor.

Spacing      Amplification

0                    2

15                  2.2

30                  2.4

40                  2.6

55                  2.83

70                  3.1

HTH

It's the Zeiss Abbe

• 6 months later...

Archived