Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super sun today 15/4/14

Moonshane

Saw this post on my way home from work - got home just before sunset, didn't have time to get the scope out but held the filter over one binocular lens (don't try this at home) and wow! That's a very spotty Sun. 

Over the weekend I was looking at the Sun properly (white light) and was particularly struck by a spot with a white 'hole' in its dark centre. Is this a common thing to see? 

Saw this post on my way home from work - got home just before sunset, didn't have time to get the scope out but held the filter over one binocular lens (don't try this at home) and wow! That's a very spotty Sun. 

Over the weekend I was looking at the Sun properly (white light) and was particularly struck by a spot with a white 'hole' in its dark centre. Is this a common thing to see?

Sunspots don't generally have "white holes". What you probably saw was a "light bridge" where bright filaments of Photosperic material appear to divide a dark sunspot umbra into two or more segments.

Another possibility is an umbral dot but that is a rare white light event sometimes mistaken for a white light flare. They are of lesser intensity and last far longer and are due to localised heating of a flux tube resulting in increased opacity, exposing deeper hotter layers. I've only seen one in 40 years! More likely to be the light bridge.

Another possibility is an umbral dot but that is a rare white light event sometimes mistaken for a white light flare. They are of lesser intensity and last far longer and are due to localised heating of a flux tube resulting in increased opacity, exposing deeper hotter layers. I've only seen one in 40 years! More likely to be the light bridge.

Well I've learned something today. A quick google (bit.ly/1nqQ0Kv) suggests that umbral dots are at most 0.6 arcsec in diameter, and what I saw would have been at least two or three times that, so the light bridge sounds more plausible. 

Still, nice to hear about umbral dots from the horse's mouth! :)

Archived