Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Man in the Moon

Out walking on Saturday I looked up and saw the Man in the Moon for the first time. It makes me wonder: I've been looking at the Moon for years, so why haven't I seen him before? On Saturday it just popped out at me. Perhaps the phase of the Moon helped, or that it was a bright day and I was wearing sunglasses, giving the right level of contrast.

He looks surprised, or perhaps aghast. I suspect I'll be stuck with this image every time I eyeball Luna from now on.

It also got me wondering: how many of you see him and do you have any alternative interpretations?

It's funny, I've seen it for years around full moon but as soon as I look through binoculars or a finder scope I can't make it out anymore.

I think the right eye is the combination of Serenitatis, Tranquillitatis & Fecunditatis, the left eye is Imbrium and the mouth is Procellarum & Nubium.

If I put a map of the moon on the other side of the room, tilt my head to one side and squint I can just about make it out.

I agree, he never seem to look very happy!

I only started to see him a couple of years ago, to me he always looks a bit like "oooooooh..." as if he's looking at the light pollution and thinking "Where did all that come from, I swear it wasn't there a little while back???"

I only started to see him a couple of years ago, to me he always looks a bit like "oooooooh..." as if he's looking at the light pollution and thinking "Where did all that come from, I swear it wasn't there a little while back???"

Maybe the poor sod just wants some sleep, or perhaps something else has shocked him... due to tidal locking he has no option of looking away.

Had another look tonight and struggled to pick him out, I could manage it but only because I saw the features a few days ago. The glare of the full moon was a problem, and the phase definitely helped the other day as the Ocean of Storms was hidden, which wrecks the illusion by merging with the mouth.

Man_in_the_Moon_with_key.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived