NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun in white Light & moon filter - 29.03.14

Purplehayze104

Hi All

was experimenting with different filters i had with me a LP & Moon, vaigely remember hearing green filters bring out a bit more contrast on the sun (or something to that nature) so gave the moon filter a go as was sorta green colour

ended up taking 100 shots & running thru PiPP, Registax5 after which i stacked 21, & processing in PS, anyways not really sure if it made much difference but never gain anything by not trying :D

clear skies all

john

post-31083-0-38000300-1396645082_thumb.j

post-31083-0-27670800-1396645127_thumb.j

thanks for the comments

i was comparing another image from same day with the just the solar filter in white light, same settings as with the moon filter, & it does seemed to of added a lil something to the image, mite look into a proper green filter No56 you say

clear skies all

john

That's a nice starter ... welcome to the 'Light-side' ...   :laugh:

Some major stacking artifacts / lines across the disc though , and you've really clipped the black point which I feel has killed the faculae round the rim by over-darkening .

Try aligning the best frames manually in Reg 5 , it will eliminate the stacking lines hopefully , and I would suggest aiming for an under-expose frame when capturing , I suspect the subs were a little bright which meant you had to try and reduce the overbright image later.

It's easy to adjust a dark frame up but virtually impossible to adjust a saturated core down , after stacking I try and get the disc to look 'right' with the Histogram , Gamma and Contrast in Reg before applying any Wavelet sharpening , this way means less mucking about in PS/Gimp afterwards .

That's a nice starter ... welcome to the 'Light-side' ...   :laugh:

Some major stacking artifacts / lines across the disc though , and you've really clipped the black point which I feel has killed the faculae round the rim by over-darkening .

Try aligning the best frames manually in Reg 5 , it will eliminate the stacking lines hopefully , and I would suggest aiming for an under-expose frame when capturing , I suspect the subs were a little bright which meant you had to try and reduce the overbright image later.

It's easy to adjust a dark frame up but virtually impossible to adjust a saturated core down , after stacking I try and get the disc to look 'right' with the Histogram , Gamma and Contrast in Reg before applying any Wavelet sharpening , this way means less mucking about in PS/Gimp afterwards .

thanks for the advise much appreciated, i did notice there was a few errors looking over the disc after stacking & editing & yes they were a little overbright, mite have another go this evening and sort throught the for the better images & give it another go defo think ive gone ott with the processing part of it.

regards

john

Archived