NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galaxies in the mane of Leo

WaveSoarer

Inspired by the report of Jonathan (Bodkin) from the 9th of March (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210431-galaxy-groups-in-leo/?hl=%2Bngc+%2B3190) I had an attempt at viewing the galaxies NGC 3193, NGC 3189, NGC 3190, NGC 3185 and NGC 3187, which are all nestled in a neat little cluster in the man of Leo roughly half way on the line between Adhafera and Algieba. They are just below the stars HIP 40444 and HIP 50364, which I found easy to locate in the finder scope. I then used my 15 mm EP to have a view with little expectation of seeing anything. Much to my surprise the brighter galaxies of the set were fairly obvious although no detail could be seen. NGC 3193 was a tight fuzzy ball next to a companion star, which marked it out very neatly. The edge on NGC 3190 was a dim fuzzy line and fairly reconisable. NGC 3187 was just dimly in view as a bearly discernable patch of light and yielded no real detail. The other galaxies were a bit beyond me but perhaps going to a higher power (10 mm EP) would have improved the contrast. Still very happy with this and thanks to Jonathan for the heads up on these.

Thanks Mark. I'll go look for these the next time I get a chance. Our skies are quite dark to the south though there is more LP in other directions - especially to the North towards Didcot, Abingdon and Oxford. The west has the Harwell lab which has avery well lit car park - must try to talk to people about this especially as the Euroean Space Agency will soon be setting up shop there. I really enjoy viewing galaxies as they are full of surprises and unexpected challenges.

This "Inspiration" is infectious!

This little bevy of lovelies is now firmly on the list. With no local Messier, I hadn't explored this part of Leo.

It Took me a few minutes to find them on Stellarium as I have always thought that the pointy end was the lion's head. I am, as we speak, scanning my previous posts on this part of the sky really hoping that I haven't referenced Leo's nose as a star hopping start point..........

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Got them! Thanks for the tip guys?

Thursday night gave a clear hour, seeing was good, M44 a comfortable naked eye object. There was a bit of moon pollution about but nothing too obtrusive.

Limbered up on the Leo triplet before moving on to the M95/96/105 group. Not quite as asthetically pleasing as the triplet, but still a nice sight in, just about, one field of view. I took a closer look at M105 and was surprised to see a close neighbours emerging as I looked (NGC 3384). A bit more magnification improved the contrast enough to bag (just) 3389 to complete the group.

Inspired by my success and remembering this thread, I had a crack at this group in Leo's mane. A nice easy star hop to the right bit of sky. To say that they jumped out of the eyepiece would be an exaggeration. They were small, faint and took a bit of work but definitely there and demanding a rematch on a moonless night!

That was it for the night. A surprise hour of clear sky grabbed with both hands and made doubly good by seeing galaxies that I thought would be beyond my sky/scope/eye ball combination.

For all it's frustrations, this hobby can sometimes be really rewarding.

Paul

Archived