Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pi Aquilae - split

Stu

Zeta Herculis is an interesting one with the same rough separation but much more difference in brightness between the two components

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/154266-zeta-herculis-have-you-ever-managed-a-split/

I certainly found Zeta Herculis quite a challenge with 5", mainly because of the brightness difference (M 3.0 and 5.4). Is the sep still 0.9 arcsec?

Chris

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly found Zeta Herculis quite a challenge with 5", mainly because of the brightness difference (M 3.0 and 5.4). Is the sep still 0.9 arcsec?

Chris

1.2" according to SkySafari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An aside, when you shine your green laser upwards during a dustfall, you see a myriad of little sparkles going upwards....very pretty.

Chris

Try heavy breathing up the beam, the Force will be with you !

Heavy breathing is not on when the air is full of volcanic dust!

Chris

Yep,

Bootes....ST 1816 (.6") ,zeta Bootis (.7"), STT 288 (1.1"), STT 298, stunning triple AB is .8".

Cancer.....57 Cancri (1.5"), ST 3121 (.8")

CVn....25 CVn (1.8")

Gemini...ST 1037 (1.1")

Leo....2 Leonis (.6"), STT 215 (1.4"), ST 1426( AB is .9"), STT 217 (.7"), ST 1517 (.6"), ST 1555(.7") which I make much wider.

Lynx...4 Lyncis (.7), ST 1033 (1.5")

Orion...14 Orionis(.7"), STT 517(.7")

UMa.....STT 200 (1.3"), STT 235(.7"), 78 UMa (1.2")

UMi......ST 2034 (1.1")

Nick that is an interesting list of tight doubles. I bought the Sissy Haas years ago and have not used it as much as I wish. I have been going through the Coldfield Observatory list of the top 200 doubles but I have not spent enough time on it.

I bought a 180mm Mak/Cass last year mainly for lunar/planetary and doubles so I must use it more in the direction of doubles.

So thanks Stu for your thread on Pi Aquilae and your recommendations Nick.

Perhaps we should produce a list of 5 interesting doubles each month to report on.

Great idea Mark. Nick seems to be the man for the job!

Perhaps 5 each month over a range of separations to cater for different conditions/sites and scopes, including at least one sub arc second one for a real test.

I am still waiting for my copy of Sissy, ordered it a little while ago, must check where it is.

Stu

Nick that is an interesting list of tight doubles. I bought the Sissy Haas years ago and have not used it as much as I wish. I have been going through the Coldfield Observatory list of the top 200 doubles but I have not spent enough time on it.

I bought a 180mm Mak/Cass last year mainly for lunar/planetary and doubles so I must use it more in the direction of doubles.

So thanks Stu for your thread on Pi Aquilae and your recommendations Nick.

Perhaps we should produce a list of 5 interesting doubles each month to report on.

Interesting Mark, I too bought a Mak 180 mainly for lunar and planetary, although it performs well on doubles I still much prefer the 5" refractor and even my 4" F15 achro, they give much nicer tighter images even though smaller in aperture. I will be interested to hear what you reckon to how it performs.

I have fond memories of the Icelandic Volcano episode, I was side by side testing my1979  4" F15 fullerscopes deluxe with a prototype Skylight F15. I lost a lot of sleep that week, clear spells for most of the week kept me up till all hours on planetary, lunar and doubles. Excellent steady viewing if I remember but not very transparent.

Nick seems to be the man for the job!

Perhaps 5 each month over a range of separations to cater for different conditions/sites and scopes, including at least one sub arc second one for a real test.

Stu I agree.

Nick do you fancy undertaking this task each month? It would be an interesting observing programme each month just concentrating on one constellation.  Perhaps we can chat about it at SGL9?

Ian (Lunator) and John are both in attendance at SGL9 and both have a great knowledge on double stars so I would be interesting to have their opinions as well. I am sure that there might be others in attendance at SGL9 that could be involved.

Interesting Mark, I too bought a Mak 180 mainly for lunar and planetary, although it performs well on doubles I still much prefer the 5" refractor and even my 4" F15 achro, they give much nicer tighter images even though smaller in aperture. I will be interested to hear what you reckon to how it performs.

I have fond memories of the Icelandic Volcano episode, I was side by side testing my1979  4" F15 fullerscopes deluxe with a prototype Skylight F15. I lost a lot of sleep that week, clear spells for most of the week kept me up till all hours on planetary, lunar and doubles. Excellent steady viewing if I remember but not very transparent.

Phil I also look back with fond memories of that star party. John and I were star hopping from one DSOs to another then we came over to you to view the Whale and Hockey Stick galaxies.

Although I have had great views with the 180 Mak/Cass on the Moon and Jupiter (with binoviewers) I have not done much on double stars. What I might do is to put the Mak/Cass side by side with my Astro Tech 102mm APO on the SkyTee 2  and do a comparison on certain doubles and then do a report.

I have fond memories of the Icelandic Volcano episode, I was side by side testing my1979 4" F15 fullerscopes deluxe with a prototype Skylight F15. I lost a lot of sleep that week, clear spells for most of the week kept me up till all hours on planetary, lunar and doubles. Excellent steady viewing if I remember but not very transparent.

Agreed Phil. My mak was a lovely scope but I would not say doubles were a strong point. Globs and planetary/lunar yes, but the star images as you say are far cleaner and tighter on a good quality refractor, be it fast triplet, ed doublet or long f/l achro I think they all give lovely star images.

Wish I had had the opportunity to make the most of those clear skies, I do remember everything feeling much nicer and more relaxed when there were no flights. Think we should have a flight holiday for a few weeks every year!

Stu

An aside, when you shine your green laser upwards during a dustfall, you see a myriad of little sparkles going upwards....very pretty.

Aye, Nick, few experiments give us such a strong feeling of an invisible world revealed; sublime, grave, joyful, busy, whirling and arcing in impossible fragmentary trajectories. Sparkling glints into other existences both present and invisible. A different space in the one we know. And to think, all we need to reach it is to know how to adjust the curtain correctly :grin: .

• 3 weeks later...

Added a couple of nice ones to this last night. Zeta1 Cancri, a lovely triple with a tight pair at 1.1" which split beautifully, solid black line separating them.

Also 57 Cancri and a few other slightly wider. SkySafari and SkyWire makes finding these so much easier, more time observing them which works for me!

Stu

Sissy Haas gives zeta AB at .9", I think it's wider. Did make a lovely group at x216.

Similar magnification for 57 Cancri, I put 4 asterixes next to this one ! Beautiful colour.

STF 3121 at .8" should give you a challenge,

Clear skies,

Nick.

I guess some of the separations have widened as you say, SkySafari puts it at 1.1" now. Still no sign of my copy of Sissy!

du8e8ebu.jpg

Must work out what Barlow effect I am getting with the VIP do I know what mags I'm using.

Will give the others a try soon.

Cheers

Stu

Sissy Haas gives zeta AB at .9", I think it's wider. Did make a lovely group at x216.

Similar magnification for 57 Cancri, I put 4 asterixes next to this one ! Beautiful colour.

STF 3121 at .8" should give you a challenge,

Clear skies,

Nick.

SkySafari puts STF 3121 at 0.2"? Who's right? Have you split this one?

Stu

Archived