NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Peak District

Hi all.

I'm thinking of heading out to one of the Peak District Dark Sky sites over the next couple of weeks - maybe Surprise View at Hathersage. Has anyone visited any of these sites? Is it worth the journey? I'll be travelling a fair distance to get there so wouldn't want it to be a wasted journey if I could be spending the time observing in the garden!

So - just an enquiry. Any local advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

Andy

Admittedly I haven't observed from the Peak, but I have a dark sky map.  Looks like magnitude 5.00 skies with naked eye, a bit better than where you are in Cheshire (4.25 - 4.75).

If it's better on the map - give it a go I'd say!

Now...if you went west instead into Wales, that's much better with magnitude 5.75 skies once you're past Wrexham.

This is all very helpful. Cheers.

Thing is, I'm new to this 'Leaving the Garden' lark. What do you do when you get there? Just set up by the road? Find a layby? Car park? Trek across fields???

Really need some help here, boys and girls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always found it a mare finding a astro spot. setting up all your expensive gear in the middle of nowhere.

Found a few good spots in the peak but setting up on my own, na.

The police or a random sometimes turn up with headlamps blazing.

Best if you can get someone to go along

The peak isn't far for me.

Would prefer Wales one night though? A lot darker.

Join a local club and arrange an outing?

Darren.

Hi Animal. Wouldn't be going on my own, that's for sure! There's a couple of us looking for a trip. Wales is also a serious option for us, too. Might have a ride out past Wrexham one evening just to see what's about. Have spied a couple of possibles on Google Earth. I'll let you know.

Hello Plantins. Been looking for something like that. Not found owt yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Edale around 25 yrs ago, unless things have changed drastically, I'd say they were the darkest skies I have seen in the uk. having said that, I've not been to any recognised dark sky sites here 

Archived