Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amazing difference

Naemeth

Last night - for the first time (in my own back garden at least), I used a chair for my observing, and let me tell you it was one of the best purchases in astronomy I've ever made. The ability to just sit still in comfort and just look through the telescope, occasionally moving the OTA to track made a huge difference to what I could see. It is because of that chair that I had a really great experience of observing Mars, seeing detail I didn't think was possible because I was able to take advantage of the best of the seeing conditions - something that is difficult to do for extended periods when you are either knelt on the floor or bending down.

If you don't have a chair or seat for visual astronomy, get one. It's a great help if it's adjustable ;).

Any seat is better than no seat, I used my garden chair for a few months  and already felt that was sort of 80% comfortable with no height adjustment and was able to sit for long periods observing without strain, but I am tall enough for a normal garden chair to reach the eyepiece even at quite high angles anyway.

I since got one of those ironing chairs a while ago and find it a bit better for sure, but that would always be my recommendation, especially high power and planets to sit on something if you can, if you have not got a proper observing chair.  The only way to spend a long time at the eyepiece is to sit,   especially with an orthoscopic with tight eyerelief even more so. :grin:

Any seat is better than no seat, I used my garden chair for a few months  and already felt that was sort of 80% comfortable with no height adjustment and was able to sit for long periods observing without strain, but I am tall enough for a normal garden chair to reach the eyepiece even at quite high angles anyway.

I since got one of those ironing chairs a while ago and find it a bit better for sure, but that would always be my recommendation, especially high power and planets to sit on something if you can, if you have not got a proper observing chair.  The only way to spend a long time at the eyepiece is to sit,   especially with an orthoscopic with tight eyerelief even more so. :grin:

I definitely agree with you there Alex, but you do know you don't ever have to press your eye right to the lens even if the eye relief is short. If you're happy with losing some of the FOV, you can quite happily back away from the eyepiece quite far (and yes, I've tried it ;))

I definitely agree with you there Alex, but you do know you don't ever have to press your eye right to the lens even if the eye relief is short. If you're happy with losing some of the FOV, you can quite happily back away from the eyepiece quite far (and yes, I've tried it ;))

When I only have 42 degrees I like all of it :grin: , but yes I know what you are saying, I do that sometimes and don't mind using a few percent less at times, but to be honest as I getting used to a tight 5mm I find as long I am sitting right it is no biggie anyway and get by with seeing nearly all of it most of the time.  I like seeing a field stop edge or perhaps that is just my fad :grin:

Do people tend to prefer a chair when viewing planets or is it for all viewing? Only tried it once and I don't think it added anything to the experience for me if I am honest. I concentrate on DSOs so perhaps it would work well for planets?

Do people tend to prefer a chair when viewing planets or is it for all viewing? Only tried it once and I don't think it added anything to the experience for me if I am honest. I concentrate on DSOs so perhaps it would work well for planets?

I found that once I had tried sitting comfortably at the eyepiece I didn't ever want to observe standing again, this was after spending many observing sessions stood bending at the eyepiece.

I have an identical chair and it is/was great for taking out to dark sites. It's light and foldable; only snag being the other week the wooden seat decided to crack in half as I thumped myself upon it. Ended up flat on ground. I'm not overweight (around 6' and 11 stone) but I guess it's been through the wars a little. Anyway, it's really simple to change and I'm going to see if I can figure a seat for the chair just a tad more comfortable.

Archived