Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax127 or Explorer 150P on my AZ4

Hello people from Denmark.

Im in 2 minds on my next purchase and hoping for some good advise.

One of my friends gave me a scope and mount a year or so ago but im now in the market for a newer scope.

The AZ4 mount is still in great condition and I have come to like the easy of setup and use so its a keeper.

The scopes that Im looking at are, Skymax 127 & Explorer 150P.

There are pros and cons on each scope so im a little lost on that to buy.

Mainly I enjoy plantes and moons with the odd DSO weather permitting. I dont do photography and tend to spend a few hours at a time abserving.

Bryan

If its planetary and lunar you enjoy then go for the 127, cracking scope. There is a fair few of us on here that have them.

Then again, I hear the 150p is also quite good for planetary but I cant say has I've never looked through one.

I've got both scopes, but on a eq 3-2 mount. For planetary I would recommend the 127mak, as it gives better contrast, it also performs well on lunar & star clusters, even seen the Orion nebula with it.

It's more portable, even comes with a carry case & won't need Collimation, but the finder will be at the lower left of the scope when mounted, this can be resolved by using a telrad or QuikFinder.

But the 150p is very capable scope, it's better for DSOs & general observing, it also cools quicker.

I'll be interested on how you get on, as I'm thinking of getting a AZ4.

The 127 skymax is a slow f/11 scope so will be easy on eyepieces giving you near enough pin sharp stars right to the edge using supplied MA eyepieces. But this comes at the cost of FOV. While the 127 is a good all round performer you will be restricted in what DSO's you can observe. It is very rare that a MAK requires collimation but dew can become a frustrating problem if you do not source a preventative measure at some point.

The 150P is a much faster scope at f/5 so less forgiving on EP's. While coma will always be a present feature the need for much better corrected eyepieces will soon be a question asked by you. The up side is that the extra 1" will make some difference to viewing fainter stuff. The 150P is also more than capable of delivering good views of the planets. Needless to say the newt by design is larger and requires collimating from time to time. For most this is a deal breaker as most beginner panic at the idea of having to make adjustments to optical equipment.

I have owned both and if I had to choose again I would go with the 150P.

hmm.  I've been very tempted to get a Mak 127 even though I've got an Altair Astro 150.. Sadly this thread pushed me over the edge and I've just ordered FLOs clearance one. Well I can always sell it on with less loss of value (it's like renting really).

On an optimistic note I may also be receiving a giant snail on the same day, which would distract attention and avoid uncomfortable questions.

The mak127 is a great little scope with near no maintenance but you have to factor in the cool time which could become a pain.

If you are wanting a bit more of a grab and go on the spur of the moment, personally I would go for the 150P.

I think that the latter would probably last you a little longer as well in terms of expanding your options in future too. All you would have to do is get a EQ mount with a drive on and you could do lots more with DSO's and start your journey into astrophotography maybe if you wanted.

To be perfectly honest no matter what you buy, if you really start getting into everything properly you will end up upgrading everything in the end and for me the 150P will save your credit card a little longer.

Ryan 

Plus the 150P looks more of a beast when set up and might pull you more women when stood in a wet field on a dark night with a big coat, wellies, bobble hat, gloves what ever else you want to put on to make you look like a sad loner !!!  lol

Bigger is always better right???

I have a Skywatcher 127 Mak on the Alt/Az Synscan Goto mount. Fantastic scope for Lunar and Planetary obs as well as picking out doubles/galaxies/open clusters etc. I've done some AP through it with excellent results too.

Cracking little scope and always a pleasure to use. Highly portable too. I brought ours back from Cyprus as hand luggage, mount and all.

+1 for the 127 mak.  I have the celestron version which I purchased a few months ago and after getting used to the cooldown etc it has been an absolute dream.  Also using modded webcam for basic lunar and planetary work.  Excellent scope for the price which packs a huge punch.

Archived