NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MIG welding problem, adivce needed.

ollypenrice

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I might jump on Olly's thread for a moment and drag it off at a slight tangent...

Where does one go in the UK to learn to weld these days?  In particular, when one doesn't want to do it professionally, just wanting to become a passably competent amateur?

James

Check out your local college. Many of them do adult learning in MIG and TIG

Sadly a huge number of adult learning courses appear to have fallen victim to "austerity".  Last time I checked they no longer did any :(

James

If I might jump on Olly's thread for a moment and drag it off at a slight tangent...

Where does one go in the UK to learn to weld these days?  In particular, when one doesn't want to do it professionally, just wanting to become a passably competent amateur?

James

The price of a good small MIG might be cheaper than the course.A friend picked up a new Hobart 140 Handler for $500.00 USD,great machine with an all metal drive-works great.You can teach yourself easily,lots of free online support.These things are indespensible and pay for themselves quite quickly.

your mig is overheating as you have figured out by now,

because its a "cheapo" or "entry level" machine its not capable of building boats in one go lmao

i have the clarke no gas mig its entry level as well,trick is to make sure your feed settings arent too fast and machine is not set to weld at too high a setting

mine has 3 different setting positions,i can weld mild tin sheet to steel thick enough for digger buckets to be welded

welding cars it will run all day with hardly any overheating but a 5 minute burst on heaviest gauge steel renders it useless until cooled

trick is to use short burst welds,ie: weld 2 inch let it stop then start again if trying a continual weld it will overheat and cut out

James

You don't need much skill to MIG weld James as long as it's on new steel on the bench, laying on your back under a rusty car is something else, gas welding is a different matter, but the cost of having your own oxy/acetylene kit is prohibitive for occasional home use, I have a mid range MIG that uses Argon cylinders that I have to pay to rent from B.O.C. also a bit expensive for D.I.Y. Never tried a "no gas" MIG so can't comment if you get a smallish one that uses CO2 you can borrow it from your friendly local landlord :)

Dave

Apologies to Ian I see he's already said this

@ olly, likewise up here, although mine was a custom made LR chassis that the local blacksmith allowed me to fabricate in his shop using.... all his pro mig gear + everything else. :)

10 yrs for a cheap mig that has manufactured all sorts of kit, surely it is worth stripping down and clearing it out. (but no point spending on it).

Archived