Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pressure Tuner or not

mog3768

For those keen solar observers  if you were buying a Lunt LS 60 today would you go for a pressure tuner, or not. I am considering purchasing  in the next few months  a Solar scope and have narrowed it down to a Lunt LS 60 with 1200 blocking filter but there is a considerable difference in the  price and I would like the advice of you guys who may have experience of using a pressure tuner against standard tuning. If it is a better system then it is obviously worthwhile getting it with the scope now rather than upgrading the scope later.  

If you intend to double stack later then the pressure tuner is a good choice -

1. it is more likely that you will achieve a good match between the etalon of the scope and the double stack etalon

2. with the pressure tuner and double stack you achieve 0.45 Angstrom (you get 0.5 Angstrom with the tilt tune and double stack) - lower angstrom should mean more surface detail

If you do not intend to double stack then the tilt tune is reliable and simple to use - nothing wrong with it at all.

I came to this area of the forum to ask an almost identical question, so rather than start a new thread hope you don't mind if I jump in on yours.

My questions is Focuser or Pressure Tuner?

Given that I need to keep to a budget and want to do solar imaging, which would be the one to prioritise, spending the money on a focuser OR spending the money and getting the pressure tuner?

I would be using an QHY5 2 Mono, so not that heavy.

Thanks 

For those keen solar observers  if you were buying a Lunt LS 60 today would you go for a pressure tuner, or not. I am considering purchasing  in the next few months  a Solar scope and have narrowed it down to a Lunt LS 60 with 1200 blocking filter but there is a considerable difference in the  price and I would like the advice of you guys who may have experience of using a pressure tuner against standard tuning. If it is a better system then it is obviously worthwhile getting it with the scope now rather than upgrading the scope later.  

I came to this area of the forum to ask an almost identical question, so rather than start a new thread hope you don't mind if I jump in on yours.

My questions is Focuser or Pressure Tuner?

Given that I need to keep to a budget and want to do solar imaging, which would be the one to prioritise, spending the money on a focuser OR spending the money and getting the pressure tuner?

I would be using an QHY5 2 Mono, so not that heavy.

Thanks 

My personal preference would be to get both, but I appreciate the fact of the budget so I think it would be better to get the Pressure Tuner - you can always upgrade the focuser at a later date.

My personal preference would be to get both, but I appreciate the fact of the budget so I think it would be better to get the Pressure Tuner - you can always upgrade the focuser at a later date.

Thanks for the reply

I've heard some poor comments regarding the focuser, is it adequate enough to hold the QHY5-II or is it totally unusable?

Rob

The pressure tuner will have a significantly larger sweet spot over a tilt etalon version and would be better for solar photography

I find that the pressure tuner allows fine adjustments, depending on whether you are viewing Sun spots/surface detail/ flares and prominences.

The second etalon significantly improves clarity and sharpens detail, prominences can be seen wrapping around over the disc giving a 3D feel to the views.

Love Solar viewing to bits.............. :cool:

Thanks for the reply

I've heard some poor comments regarding the focuser, is it adequate enough to hold the QHY5-II or is it totally unusable?

Rob

I got a lunt60 last week Rob and have done a couple of imaging runs with the qh5L-ii

I found the stock focuser is fine in my opinion. No movement at all once focused.

Visually I have had a x2.5 Barlow, a bino view and two 25mm eyepieces and it didn't slip once with all that weight.

If you are on a budget I cannot see the need to upgrade.

I got a lunt60 last week Rob and have done a couple of imaging runs with the qh5L-ii

I found the stock focuser is fine in my opinion. No movement at all once focused.

Visually I have had a x2.5 Barlow, a bino view and two 25mm eyepieces and it didn't slip once with all that weight.

If you are on a budget I cannot see the need to upgrade.

Perfect, thank you so much

Then hats what it will be:

Lunt 60 (Pressure Tuner)

B1200

Would be interested to see some of those images from the QHY5-II  :grin:

Was it mono or colour

Lunt 60 (Pressure Tuner)

B1200

Was it mono or colour

Think that's a very sensible choice Rob. I have been so impressed with my lunt.

I have the mono qhy5l-ii which is apparently better.

Please bear in mind these are my first goes, hopefully will get better with a bit of practice!!

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211137-first-solar-image-with-new-lunt-60/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211363-first-full-disc-in-ha/

If/when you decide to change focuser then the "Baader NT" will fit straight on (no extra parts/adaptors needed)

* you also have choice of adding baader 19mm "extension for NT" if you want to add some extra length and use less "blocking filter" extension tube - all can be swapped in and out in seconds (easy)

The Baader NT is a great focuser and £200 less than the feathertouch option!

When you first receive your lunt you may find the standard focuser a bit slack/sloppy, there is an allen key adjustment underneath that will allow you to tighten it all up - as stated above it is perfectly "usable" focuser

I hear the comments....

I've been using a couple of SM60 double stacked etalons (both tilt tuning) for the past five years...no major issues, no drama!

The double stack always gives 0.5A bandwidth....the etalons ( both of them) would have to be "EXCELLENT" quality to achieve less than this.

If/when you decide to change focuser then the "Baader NT" will fit straight on (no extra parts/adaptors needed)

* you also have choice of adding baader 19mm "extension for NT" if you want to add some extra length and use less "blocking filter" extension tube - all can be swapped in and out in seconds (easy)

I thought the NT was for Newtonians and the RT was for refractors !!!

Here's the details of which Steeltrack is required. There's also a link showing how to tweak the standard focuser:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/157674-replacement-focuser-lunt-l60/

I believe that Baader are releasing a newer version of the Steeltrack shortly? You may need to check.

The stock focuser is OK. A bit of tweaking improves it. It's not great, just OK.

The Feathertouch is overkill for imaging....after all there's not much weight in a tiny planetary cam and the blocking filter. plus the FT costs 25% of the price of the scope.

Cheers Zak,

The only part I don't like about the stock focuser is the compression ring that holds the blocking filter, I wouldn't mind swapping this part, the actual focuser works fine :smiley:

Cheers Zak,

The only part I don't like about the stock focuser is the compression ring that holds the blocking filter, I wouldn't mind swapping this part, the actual focuser works fine :smiley:

It's OK. Nothing more than that to be honest. The locking screw moves the draw-tube when it's tightened, shifting the focus point.

You can junk the compression ring and let the screws bear on the BF.  My stock focuser has 2 locking screws, which is probably the best part of it (it'd be better with 3, but 2 is better than 1).

Lunt 60 (Pressure Tuner)

B1200

Was it mono or colour

It's OK. Nothing more than that to be honest. The locking screw moves the draw-tube when it's tightened, shifting the focus point.

+1 to Zakalwe's post. It's okay, but it's certainly not the nicest focuser I've used - mind you having used a Feathertouch it kind of spoils you!

Think that's a very sensible choice Rob. I have been so impressed with my lunt.

I have the mono qhy5l-ii which is apparently better.

Please bear in mind these are my first goes, hopefully will get better with a bit of practice!!

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211137-first-solar-image-with-new-lunt-60/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211363-first-full-disc-in-ha/

Those images are great and thanks for sharing, its very encouraging knowing that I have the same camera.

Thanks again

Archived