NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First full disc in ha

SimonfromSussex

First totally clear day here today since I got the Lunt, not a cloud in the sky, so I thought I'd try a full disc.

I did one run of 6 pics for the surface and then another run of 6 pics at a higher exposure for proms.

The surface stitched nicely but the proms just would not fit together sadly. Here is the surface pics:

post-13692-0-22739500-1394988584_thumb.p

and a big prom that came out ok (and looked amazing visually using an 8mm eyepiece):

post-13692-0-91148500-1394988641_thumb.p

QHY5L-II at prime focus.

Very nice Simon, especially the prom.  Congratulations on your first images and a 6 pane mosaic, quite a day.

I have never managed to get proms to stitch, I suspect there isn't enough detail in the overlaps to allow the stitching program to work.

There is just a hint of Newton rings in the surface shot, I got them today in my view on the screen, but with the wind up here, the image wasn't very stable so they evened themselves out quite nicely in the stacked image.

Robin

Smashing images there Simon.

Was up at the Elan Valley Visitors Centre earlier today, where Gary Palmer had an array of instrumentation and images for people to look at / through. Have long had a desire for a H alpha scope and having had some long views through some of his instruments today, have fired my desire to own one even further. Sorry bank account!!!

Regards

Les 

Very nice Simon, especially the prom.  Congratulations on your first images and a 6 pane mosaic, quite a day.

I have never managed to get proms to stitch, I suspect there isn't enough detail in the overlaps to allow the stitching program to work.

There is just a hint of Newton rings in the surface shot, I got them today in my view on the screen, but with the wind up here, the image wasn't very stable so they evened themselves out quite nicely in the stacked image.

Robin

Many thanks Robin, yes I think you are right about the proms stitching. I think on my next go I will combine each surface & prom picture first and then stitch the combined pics. That way there should be enough detail.

Smashing images there Simon.

Was up at the Elan Valley Visitors Centre earlier today, where Gary Palmer had an array of instrumentation and images for people to look at / through. Have long had a desire for a H alpha scope and having had some long views through some of his instruments today, have fired my desire to own one even further. Sorry bank account!!!

Regards

Les

Thanks Les, you won't regret an ha scope. I've been so impressed so far with my new Lunt.

Robin

what are the "newton rings" ?

The so called 'Newton Rings' are circular black lines of rings on the image and come from internal reflections/refractions between the Etalon and other glass in the system.  I think they are mostly caused by internal reflections as the Etalon has highly polished surfaces so the name is a little misleading, but it seems to be what everyone refers to them as.

You might note that they are frequently centered to one side of the image, I assume this comes from the tilt in the Etalon?

I can sometimes see them on my double stack Lunt with a barlow and the stacking software seems to bring them out even more as the stacker seems to like to make lines out of features.

Robin

Archived