NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Night in Northumberland 11/03/14

scarp15

The nightscape was full of drama but not full of stars.The Gibbous moon along the terminator was quite spectacular as was the intermittent flares from a nearby military training base. Yet despite the brightness there was plenty to do.

Jupiter looked lovely, a shadow transit hung within one of its belts, the moons clustered together in an arrow shape as though about to launch an assault. I panned around for open clusters M46 and M47, NGC 2362, then M35 arresting and requiring attention as always, M37, M36, M38. A quick look towards Cassiopeia NGC 7510 and the Double Cluster, followed by the Pleiades, always an uplifting sight. I swung the scope around for the Plough and M81 and M82 clearly displayed regardless of the moon shadow I was casting. I also located NGC 4449 very easily to (refer to the Daniel-K thread). M40 double was picked up before my attention turned to welcoming Mars which was gaining in prominence. It too looked lovely though I stayed at low / medium power. M3 was then sought, very engaging working through low, medium and high power.

I drove down from my lofty vantage point into swirling fog to join the main road. A rendition of Bach's flute sonatas kept me alert on the drive home. The wildness of Northumberland beckoning 'haste ye back' (but on a dark night). 

post-22819-0-15011100-1394649057_thumb.j

Glad you got out and made the most of the weather Iain, if I had my 16" available (the secondary holder is in Holland getting fixed at the mo) I would probably been out there aswell.

I've got to say that I'm a little surprised that you've all been picking galaxies out so well but I guess thats because your looking 180˚ from the moon?

Is that a cover over the bottom of your OTA?

very nice NGC4449 is very bright isnt it. just think what it will look like when there's no moon! Auriga is one of my favorite places to visit, i never get board of those open clusters:) glad you managed to get out.

Glad you got out and made the most of the weather Iain, if I had my 16" available (the secondary holder is in Holland getting fixed at the mo) I would probably been out there aswell.

I've got to say that I'm a little surprised that you've all been picking galaxies out so well but I guess thats because your looking 180˚ from the moon?

Is that a cover over the bottom of your OTA?

Mike i try and cover the bottom of my scope to stop stray light getting in the back

Lovely report, Iain and thank you for sharing it with us :grin: I think I headed out a few days earlier than you, and as you say, even with the Moon about there was plenty to see. Lovely shot of your telescope.

Thanks everyone, it was a little challenging with the moon being so bright, coupled with occasional flares,some way off in the distance, but the location was fabulous with a great 360 degree horizon. This session was aimed as a taster really. Whilst I was focused on open clusters (also bumped into M50 and M41) as Mike indicated 180 degree from the moon was considerably darker with a chance for galaxies. Yes I do have a cover on the primary end Mike, an astrozap, a little expensive but I really like these for the good tight fit they provide, easy to stash away in the dark and are breathable.

Very nice report. I was observing in Northumberland on the night of 10-11th, beginning around midnight under bright moonlight with SQ 20.1 - too bright for the Milky Way to be visible. I still managed to see a number of galaxies, though it was a struggle. I made sure I was positioned out of direct moonlight and kept it well out of sight so that my eyes could adapt as much as possible - the surrounding landscape looked bright. Things began to darken around 3.30 a.m, about half an hour before moonset. Once it was down the sky was truly dark at last - I measured SQ 21.5 at 4.45 a.m., a 72% reduction in sky brightness from when the moon was up. A galaxy I had been completely unable to see (NGC 5620) became clearly visible in my 12" at x375. But by then it was already astronomical twilight, with the below-horizon sun beginning to brighten the sky, so I quit just before 5 a.m.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived