Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pleiades

DommyDevil18

I have always enjoyed observing the Seven Sisters in Taurus the Bull one of three things I look forward to in the Winter skies (Orion and the inverted Plough being the others) but I can never seem to get a picture of them with my camera but I can of Orions Belt. If anyone here can help me out I will definately appreciate it :) Thank you :)

You can take a picture of the Pleiades with an ordinary DSLR attached to a tracking telescope. The Pleiades is bright so almost any telescope will do- the main requirement is a good tracking mount.

This picture is a stack 5 x 3 minutes unguided sub frames through a 12" Newtonian scope and Fujifilm DSLR 

_DSF8238_HSL_STACK_HSL_noels_1024V2_blue

Here's my little image of the Pleiades, taken with a DSLR on a fixed tripod. I used a 50mm f1.8 lens stopped down to f2.5, it's about sixty 3.2 second exposures stacked together.

13045684665_5266924a1a_b.jpg

It's just showing a hint of nebulosity below Merope, despite having half a Moon and a fair bit of light pollution to contend with. Not a patch on the other images in this thread, but it shows what is possible from a fixed mount.

Archived