Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Online moon map

Having lots of fun with my Rev 8" Dob, but having problems identifying what I am looking at on the moon!

I've got a Philips Moon Map, and took a quick image through the scope and I'm now trying to match it to the map - without success!

I'm looking for an online moon map that shows (clearly) the terminator at any given date and time, plus the ability to zoom in.

I've tried Google Moon (on Google Earth) but it doesn't give me what I need.

Hopefully I'll be out again tonight, the plan is to take a series of images along the terminator and try and work out what is what!

Scope is great (Jupiter and moons are amazing!), problem is with me!!

Mick

Virtual Moon Map is great, I just put my date/time of the image, followed the terminator and bingo!

Can't wait until tonight!! It is going to be clear? Isn't it? Please???

This time I've read up on Sharpcap, modified my cam so it doesn't get stuck in the focuser tube (oops!) and charged up my lap-top.

Thanks all!!

Mick

Hi I'm a newbie here and the Moon really interests me (plus its very hard to miss). I came across, on here, the 'Lunar Field Atlas' @ 90 pages it is sooooo detailed and easy to reference. I printed it out (at work in colour) and can't wait for the days after new moon to start and work my way through this fantastic/Free guide. It even has a Dob view so that you reference what you actually see!

I use the app 'Moon Globe' on my iPhone. It can be orientated the 'right way' up for Newtonians, which I like, and you can adjust the terminator - though it's not as 'sharp' a divide as in real life.

+1 for Virtual Moon Atlas.  As good or better than anything you will get online.

David

Just had major problems on my Mac (OS 10.9.2 Mavericks) when attempting Virtual moon Atlas download.  

It seemed to change all sorts of system preferences and meant I couldn't use Safari for over an hour. Eventually got it straight, but definitely a pain in the proverbial.

Sky and Telescope do a couple of laminated Moon maps, one for  a standard orientation and one for image-reverse, such as when using a diagonal on your telescope.  I have both and they are very useful and easy to fold and use at the telescope.

Also, for observers starting out on Lunar exploration, 'Discover the Moon' by Jean Lacroux and Christian Legrand (published by Cambridge) will be extremely useful.  In fact at under £7 there's no real excuse not to buy a copy!

Archived