NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So, I tried my hand at the Pleiades.

And I'd say it was fairly successful. I spent a bit more time on leveling and balancing the scope, and tried to point it at Polaris as best I could. This is the result of 20x30s lights (out of which 14 were stacked), 10 darks and 20 bias frames. It may not be the best results around, but for a first try, I'm pretty darned happy. It's so good to finally start seeing results. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yarrf5fuegzcply/untitled-.jpg

And as usual, any help towards getting better results is always appreciated. 

That's a stunning image, not sure how the experienced imager see it but I'd gladly look at that time and time again.

Love the way that the sky has some colour.

Well done!

Nicely focused and no tracking errors. Flats would help. You have some vignetting - a round, brighter central region and dark corners which flats would correct. I think that flats would be a good next step.

Olly

Flat frames to cure the vignetting and then maybe try some longer subs to pick up the fainter detail?

Definitely things I'll keep in mind next time. Once I get my polarscope, and I can polar align properly, I'll try taking longer subs.

So I tried again, and I've learned a few things. I can't polar align if my life depended on it (got my scope though, can't figure it out), I can duplicate results (yay!) and my mount can track reasonably well. This is 14x60s lights (ISO 800), 20 darks and 10 bias frames. I was going to take flats as per your suggestions, but then I found out what it was and I couldn't. Anyway, here's my second attempt at the Pleiades, and I think I do think I detect a slight bit more nebulosity, but it could just be wishful thinking. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3wmd6ci6icm4fp/Pleiades2.jpg

Excellent again, love that non black sky.

Being very, very picky here but to me that main star in the center of the image may just be blowing out as it just gets your attention all the time.

I'm sure someone will help on the best way of holding back on the brighter images but bring through the hidden detail at the same time.

Well done. :smiley:

So I tried again, and I've learned a few things. I can't polar align if my life depended on it (got my scope though, can't figure it out),

Have a look at the Astronomy Shed set of 5 videos on setting up and using the mount. Part 2 is all about polar aligning, but all 5 are really interesting: 

Archived