NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to do next.....

Sorry if this is really the wrong topic area but...

I have a Skywatcher 200P and HEQ5 Pro mount, but recently I have developed a problem with my back. So lifting these is a real pain in the back. I have not done much observing over the last year because of this. I want to do some observing, I am not worried about astrophotography side of things that I originally wanted to do, apart from anything, my neighbours are polluting the light.

Whilst I could buy a wheeled pier, leaving the telescope and  mount attached, I still have to consider polar alignment etc., This leaves me stuck in the back garden of course.

I could buy a ST80 or something like, or a Mak. To be honest I feel a 127 is the way to go in that type of scope, but should I go for a goto mount? I already have this with the HEQ5 mount.

Yes I could sell the existing kit, even though I can't use it due to back pains, I might be able to in the future.

As I asked  - what to do next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No I cant 3D print my way out of it ;-)

Have a think about the ST120 and an AZ4, it is a nice working combination.

Replace the RDF with a RACI to make it easier on the back to point and line up, plus a good diagonal and some decent EP's it would make a very nice quick and easy set up but not heavy.

If the budget went further look at the ED versions of the 120mm refractors.

The 127's have a narrow field of view and I would have said that to carry on and enjoy it all I would go for something like a 100-110mm refractor - simply easier to locate objects then using a Mak. I have both and the 90mm refractor is a lot easier to use then the 105 Mak. However even then there are "problems".

Goto or not is your choice but an EQ sounds out of the question owing to the poalr scope and alignment. However I think you will need to decide if you want this or not and base future equipment on it.

In the Alt/Az line to get a reasonable refractor attached and not hit anything I suspect it means one of the iOptron Cube mounts - the single arm SW or Celestron options will cause a refractor to hit something. A Mak/SCT should not pose the same problem within reason.

Any clubs around you to visit and have a look at the options, seeing a setup in the flesh could well highlight a problem or a solution.

Depending on the back problem, and if you haven't already, I would look at getting something to maintain warmth as a cold back is liable to get worse not better. I have more, and better, jackets for astronomy then I do for general outdoor activities.

Just a thought, but would a cheap trolley help if you have to carry the mount and 'scope any distance? Downsizing to a lighter setup would be a benefit, but you would lose a lot of viewing potential if you go that route.

I had thought about a trolley, and leaving the whole lot set up in the garage, but to get it out into the back garden would be difficult. This would need a "lean to" shed. And because I suffer from neighbours light pollution, I could not take it to a dark site, where as a lighter set up could go to a dark site with reasonable ease.

The other issue is that even with rotating rings, its quite difficult with a Newtonian to get into a reasonable viewing position. On top of all that, I have a limited viewing angle at home, approximately a channel directly east/west, with trees in the way too.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Alan, I have been a member of a local society and will re-join soon.

I decided to get Celestron 5SE and Starsense to help me with aligning,

I brought the Skywatcher gear down from the box room and the legs alone are heavier than the quoted weight  5SE.

So fingers crossed I will soon be observing again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Thanks Alan, I have been a member of a local society and will re-join soon.

I decided to get Celestron 5SE and Starsense to help me with aligning,

I brought the Skywatcher gear down from the box room and the legs alone are heavier than the quoted weight  5SE.

So fingers crossed I will soon be observing again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I was going to suggest something from the SE range. I have the 8SE and it really weighs next to nothing (when broken down into its 3 parts as i have to do to carry it). Ive seen the 4SE and thought that it might fit in my pocket. The 5SE should serve you well.

Thanks Moonshane. The 5SE is ordered now.

Its all down to weight and bulk in the end. Even 130mm newtonions are a little bulky. I will still have to work out the best way for me to assemble the SE. But that's to come.

Carrying the old scope down stairs in the various boxes was a painful challenge.

Archived