NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nirvana 28mm or ES 30mm 82°?

I'm looking to replace/upgrade my 38mm PanaView and might get one of the two EP's in the thread title. Not sure which one to get though. Would like some feedback on these EP's if possible please.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the ES 30 mm and think it is excellent. If you want to buy new then check on import prices either from the US or Germany. I got mine through a friend in the US and paid about £160. Seriously good value for money. I have seen some reviews stating that the quality is close to the Nagler 31 mm.

I've also only used the ES 30 but it is a beauty. If my home sky was darker, I would have one of those but light pollution washing things out means I actually bought the ES 28mm 68°.

PanaView may be not light-weighted, but you might still get a small supprise of 30mm ES' size and weight :smiley:

Yep - the Panaview will seem dainty compared to the ES 82 / 30 !

PanaView may be not light-weighted, but you might still get a small supprise of 30mm ES' size and weight :smiley:

Yep - the Panaview will seem dainty compared to the ES 82 / 30 !

Hmmm BIGGER than the 38mm PanaView!? I got surprised when that one arrived. I guess I really need to start thinking about some sort of counter weight then. :grin:

Hmmm BIGGER than the 38mm PanaView!? I got surprised when that one arrived. I guess I really need to start thinking about some sort of counter weight then. :grin:

These 82 degree eyepieces need more and larger lens elements to achieve a well corrected view across the field of view and these need carefully made housings and light baffling. In the 28-31mm focal length (ie: UWAN 28, ES 82 30, Nagler 31) they seem to all weigh around 1 kg  whereas the Panaview 38 comes in at around 630 grams. You will be a bit taken aback at both the size of the eyepiece and the box it comes in.

Counterweighting / re-balancing is usually needed with these things.

I have just bought the ES82/30mm from Agena Astro in the US, took one and a half weeks to arrive and came in slightly cheaper all in than buying it here, £255 including VAT & customs charges of £44.90, costs £289.99 at Telescope House.  Have to praise Agena Astro for their quick and efficient service, now all I need now are some clear nights.  I bought this one to replace my PanaView 32mm and look forward to comparing. Slightly larger TFoV (2.73 degrees compared to 2.5 degrees with the PanaView, I anticipate the new ep should be sharper at the edges when used in my f/5 200P as well) and an exit pupil of 3.33mm or thereabouts according to the maths in my f/9 refractor.

These 82 degree eyepieces need more and larger lens elements to achieve a well corrected view across the field of view and these need carefully made housings and light baffling. In the 28-31mm focal length (ie: UWAN 28, ES 82 30, Nagler 31) they seem to all weigh around 1 kg  whereas the Panaview 38 comes in at around 630 grams. You will be a bit taken aback at both the size of the eyepiece and the box it comes in.

Counterweighting / re-balancing is usually needed with these things.

Miles bigger than the 38mm panaview!!it's the size of a tin of beans

Then I absolutely need to get a counter weight AND a new EP case. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth it!  :grin:

Just got an email from Teleskop-Express and the EP wil be shipped today Very nice surprise since the expected delivery time is 1-3 weeks according to their website. Can't complain aboute that! 

Just got an email from Teleskop-Express and the EP wil be shipped today Very nice surprise since the expected delivery time is 1-3 weeks according to their website. Can't complain aboute that! 

That is good service. Pity the UK dealers aren't allowed to compete on price though.

Oh dear, what happened to my spelling? Wil? Aboute??? I'm embarrassed. Anyway, I'm looking forward to get my hands on the ES 30mm and compare it to the PanaView 38mm.

Alan has started selling some ES kit through skysthelimit. Hopefully he can expand his stock options and offer some better prices than other suppliers. We can but hope.

Indeed that would be good, I notice he currently sells the ES extender at a nice price, I've heard  of others buying it from the US and with import cost it worked out just a few pounds more buying directly from him. I had been dabbling with the idea of buying one of those extenders, though doubt I will, but if I did I would have no hesitation getting it from Alan, you'll have your goods it in 2 - 3 days  with a guarantee and all of a return should there be any issues.

Tractionman, Good luck with the eyepiece by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read that email too fast. It said the order was processed and was ready to ship as SOON as they got the eyepiece in stock. Oooops. Nevertheless it finally arrived today and as expected, the sky is full of thick clouds and some wet stuff is falling down from them. Ah rain, typical. Oh well thought I'd share a few photos at least. I have to say that as soon as I laid eyes on the eyepiece box, I got a big smile on my face. It was little work of art in itself. The smile got even bigger when I finally opened it.

Just for fun I decided to compare the ES 30mm to my 38mm PanaView, and it wasn't THAT much bigger, although it was quite a bit heavier (but I already knew that :grin: ).

post-22147-0-13436500-1395151773_thumb.j

post-22147-0-54146800-1395151787_thumb.j

post-22147-0-95565000-1395151800_thumb.j

post-22147-0-30145000-1395151817_thumb.j

post-22147-0-41207600-1395151829_thumb.j

post-22147-0-69929400-1395151841_thumb.j

I've got the 30ES-82, and it is a BEAST.  If you look carefully enough, you might find scorch marks from the howitzer that launched it. 

But in all seriousness, though, it's one heck of an eyepiece.  And same goes with the 28mm UWAN or 28mm Nirvana, as I've looked through one in an f/5 refractor and a I've had the privilege of borrowing the 31T5 from time to time.  If you can't afford the 31T5 "Terminagler", all the aforementioned alternatives are VERY reasonably-priced.  The performance differential's is very small compared to the price gap.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Archived