NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking to buy my first refractor... help?!

I currently own an 8" dob and, whilst I love it, it's frustrating as my main interest lies in astrophotography.

A few folk have given me some advice on which scopes work best for AP, particularly DSOs... seems like an 80mm refractor with a short focal length and an equatorial mount would be suitable for starting out, does that sound right?

Is anyone able to give me names/links to specific scopes that you've either used yourself for imaging DSOs, or have heard good things about?!  Also, if anyone has any photos showing what can be achieved with those scopes it would be much appreciated!

I can be quite impatient, but I'm trying not to rush into buying a new scope without doing my research first!!

Also looking to invest in a DSLR - currently only using a compact camera for AP :(  Nothing too fancy, as I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to all the technical stuff!  Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

It will require a little patience, but I would strongly recommend to read Making Every Photon Count if you haven't already done so.

It will bring you up to speed on DSO imaging basics and the various options, it's best to read this book before buying any gear for imaging, in my view. The link to the book on FLO is:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I wish I had read it first before getting my first imaging rig!

The Skywatcher 80ED PRO  is a good scope - better, in some respects, with the associated flattener/reducer.  If you are feeling rich then the 120ED PRO is an excellent all round scope for both DSO's as well as planetary/Lunar and Solar imaging (with the appropriate filters and/or Barlow/powermate etc).

If you need to buy a DSLR then the Canon brand are well supported for Astronomy (ie almost all software works with them and much of it is freeware).  The Canon 1100D is just going out of production and the body only can still be bought for a little over £200 new ( http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body  )  Well worth it at that price but you will have to be quick as stock will be disappearing fast.

However the most important piece of gear for AP is the mount.  You really need something like an HEQ5 as the absolute minimum.  The Syntrek is OK at £630 - you can use EQMOD and a laptop to get full goto functionality as well as using the lappy to control your camera (the supplied software that comes with the camera will be OK to get you going).

I only own a pair of binoculars so can't help much (!), but i have read 'making every photon count' in preparation for making my first purchase and would definitely recommend it.

I use both an 80mm f/6 Revelation Semi-Apo (which incidentally will be up for sale soon - fantastic scope, but need to fund the purchase of the next one) and a Starwave 102ED f/7 (which has already been bought, but is being paid in part by selling the revelation!).  

Both are great imaging scopes - I use a CLS filter with them, and I get great results with an EOS 1100D (modded).  

Like already mentioned. The first thing and most important thing on your list should be the mount.

It's by far the most important and critical piece of equipment when it comes to astrophotography.

Something like the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro or Celestron Advanced VX is the recommended minimum.

When you have a good mount, you can have a cheap scope and a DSLR and be able to make decent pictures.

When you skimp on the mount and spend all your money on an expensive scope and a DSLR (example), it all falls apart and you end up frustrated and dissapointed.

It's sadly a very common mistake people make and continue to make (we had an example of this today). :(

we could all suggest the world to you..but no use until you give a figure on how much your willing to spend?

start off with a budget you can afford and the rest can then tailor your needs to it

The Skywatcher 80ED PRO  is a good scope - better, in some respects, with the associated flattener/reducer.  If you are feeling rich then the 120ED PRO is an excellent all round scope for both DSO's as well as planetary/Lunar and Solar imaging (with the appropriate filters and/or Barlow/powermate etc).

If you need to buy a DSLR then the Canon brand are well supported for Astronomy (ie almost all software works with them and much of it is freeware).  The Canon 1100D is just going out of production and the body only can still be bought for a little over £200 new ( http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body  )  Well worth it at that price but you will have to be quick as stock will be disappearing fast.

However the most important piece of gear for AP is the mount.  You really need something like an HEQ5 as the absolute minimum.  The Syntrek is OK at £630 - you can use EQMOD and a laptop to get full goto functionality as well as using the lappy to control your camera (the supplied software that comes with the camera will be OK to get you going).

Very sound advice...

To consider the mount first then physical size is generally relevant, an EQ5 will handle an 80mm refractor fairly easily, although you will be adding bits to it. An HEQ5 is often considered a safer option, but they are pretty big items. I bought an HEQ5 for general use and by the time I carried it all from car to house I had decided to go buy an EQ5 for general use - just easier to move.

Getting a goto variant is probably safer as if you get into AP seriously you will eventually want to guide the thing. (also means more weight again)

Generally the Skywatcher mounts are talked of but there is also the iOptron mounts around which are worth looking at.

Refractors: What do you want to get and how big a budget? At 80mm there is the ED80 is £350, WO GT-81 about £800 (maybe £900) and then APM LZOS lens scopes about £2500. Most will require a flattener especially if using a DSLR.

The other aspect is basically what do you want to do? Take images of what you see or is it more serious.

Cameras: Start with a DSLR but for the serious and semi-serious side a ccd will be the next step - they can cost a thousand or two as well.

I cannot really suggest a scope, I have a WO GT-81 anyway. If I didn't have a refractor then I would most likely look at something like the WO GT-81 anyway.

Simply because for AP I would not then expect to want to upgrade from an ED doublet to a triplet apo for a number of years if ever. There would always for me be the thought that if I got an ED doublet then I would still want a triplet to try. So for me getting the triplet apo would be the decider.

Again for myself the mount I would take a shot at the iOptron's. I read too many hiccups with the SW's and yes there are many more of them around but the iOptrons are more up to date.

As above plus work out what do you want to image the most?  This will dictate to some extent your budget depending upon the FL required.  Regarding DSLR then get a Canon with an articulated screen.  The articulated screen on my 600D is worth its weight in gold.  No neck ache, easy framing and it makes focussing in live view a complete doddle.

To consider the mount first then physical size is generally relevant, an EQ5 will handle an 80mm refractor fairly easily, although you will be adding bits to it. An HEQ5 is often considered a safer option, but they are pretty big items. I bought an HEQ5 for general use and by the time I carried it all from car to house I had decided to go buy an EQ5 for general use - just easier to move.

It´s not just the weight and size of the mount.  The HEQ5 Pro ain´t that bad. Try the NEQ6 Pro. Now that´s big and Heavy. ;):D

There is a big difference between the EQ5 and HEQ5 Pro, in that the motors are better, with better accuracy. It also has a build in illuminated Polar Scope. Which is also a big plus.

The extra size and weight of the HEQ5 Pro compared to the EQ5 is also a major advantage, as the heavier the mount, the more stability it provides! Especially with our average "windy" weather!

If you are really serious into getting into long exposure astrophotography, then a HEQ5 Pro or Advanced VX is the recommended minimum to start out with.

If you go for less, you only going to frustrate yourself, which lead to dissapointment and you either stopping all together or end up selling at a loss to Upgrade sooner than later.

That´s why it´s best to invest in the best possible mount you can afford. Everything else is of secondary concern.

It´s exactly what I am doing now. I saved up and bought the NEQ6 Pro last month. Now I am saving up for my scope (planned for June). After that.... a CCD camera.

HEQ5 carryng ED80 with flattener and autoguided using mini finder guider. It really is hard to beat this as an introductory setup and one which will last well into your progression. Resale values are good because those who made the mistake of pitching in below this level now want exactly this setup for their second attempt!

However, I join the chorus singing 'Making Every Photon Count' because taking deep sky photos bears no resemblance whatever to taking normal photographs. 

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Thank you so much for all the advice!

For the people asking about my budget - I don't really have one.  I'm just planning on saving until I can afford the equipment I want.  I'm going to try to be patient and not rush into buying something just because it's cheap and getting frustrated when it doesn't produce the results I'm hoping for!  Will definitely buy "Making Every Photon Count", it's been recommended by pretty much every person I've spoken to, so it must be good!!

Thank you so much for all the advice!

For the people asking about my budget - I don't really have one.  I'm just planning on saving until I can afford the equipment I want.  I'm going to try to be patient and not rush into buying something just because it's cheap and getting frustrated when it doesn't produce the results I'm hoping for!  Will definitely buy "Making Every Photon Count", it's been recommended by pretty much every person I've spoken to, so it must be good!!

Good plan. As they say "only fools rush in". Research and research again. Read reviews over and over.

Archived