Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How long before scope upgrade?

Don't worry, this is not a topic about me buying a beginners scope and having regrets due 'massive mag' not living up to expectations!

Serious question though, how long does the average person go before moving from a starter scope to their first 'serious' scope?

Happy as I am just now but like everyone my mind is on my next scope buy.

Thoughts anyone?

Mark

It took me about 6 months but my starter scope was rubbish, bought from a local camera shop in 78. Fortunately it did not put me off. Today you can get an 8" dob for not a lot which is also good quality, people buying this as a starter scope could be happy for years.  :smiley:

I started with the Tal 4" f/10 and it was just under a year of quite serious viewing when I figured I had 'exhausted' my options and really did need to upgrade on aperture. By a sheer stroke of luck, the sollution to all my problems came in the name of Moonshane who designed for me the bestest ever telescope I could ever dream to own :grin:. In no short terms, Shane and his sublime creation changed my life forever.

I say all this for I truely believe an upgrade in astronomy shouldn't be taken lightly, but only come when you know someting is missing that is essential to your observation sessions but perhaps more importantly, when you know how it can be improved upon and bettered. Now all that may sound obvious, but aperture increase is only worth it provided you are not sacrificing in comfort, usability and portability.

For me, it would be pretty senseless to own just a lovely 16" telescope, for example, and due to its sheer weight and size and set up time not be able to use more than a couple of times a month or worse still, that it becomes a drag to use it. Or again, to own one of those big Cassegrain scopes and on my trips out to dark sites waiting around for an hour or more for the thing to cool down. 

It's also nice to bear in mind a few numbers when working out the next step up in aperture. If I've got it right, the aperture for light-gathering power is calculated by the ratio of the scopes' diameters squared. For example, a 10" aperture will collect four times the amount of light of a 5" aperture: (10 × 10) ÷ (5 × 5) = 4. One magnitude increase is a factor of about 2.53 in brightness. So, I think going from a 5" to a 8" is a magnitude jump of 1 and to a 10" a magnitude jump of 1.5. The minimum usually suggested is a magnitude jump of 1. From the 8" your next jump is to 12" whereas the 10" will need to go to a 16" :shocked:.

All things being equal, any extra aperture will bring it an increase in brightness, the ability to resolve finer detail on the Moon and planets and it should make it easier to see things that were on the edge of detection with the preious telescope. But on each increase you're also bringing in greater weight, length (if the scope is solid), cool down time etc. These other factors are also worth bearing in mind and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Final words. It seems to me you've got a 5" or 6" telescope. Let's say I round up the 140mm to 6", then I feel the jump to an 8" might not quite hit the wow mark. If I were going for an upgrade in aperture, I'd be looking at 10" telescopes which I personally feel are at the border of great ease of portablity and set up and cool down compromises, but still big enough to get years of enjoyment from. Other than that, go for a 12" Dob. Go on! 12" :p .

About 30 years or so :) Well, to be honest as a kid I was always fascinated by space and what is "out there". My mum saved up and bought me a refractor that I have no idea of the make/model when I was about 5 yo. I used it for the moon and the neighbours primarily :D

It eventually died 4 years later or so when I took it apart and got the main lens confiscated at school for burning things...yeah I know, in my defence it was fascinating the power of the sun :) 

Then teens, job, gf and general life distracted me for quite some time until I saw the 200p at the end of December 2013 after finding the bins I had bought scratched the itch just a little too much :)

When I was starting out in the hobby "proper" scopes were very expensive compared to todays prices so it took me around 6-7 years to move from a 60mm refractor to a 6" newtonian. I've owned 25+ scopes since then though so I've sort of made up for the slow start  :smiley:

An 8" scope was priced at around £1K back when I really got interested and that was totally out of my budget range with a large mortgage and 2 young children.

It took me six months to upgrade from a Celestron 76/700 AZ to a 120 ED.

I wanted to upgrade much earlier but felt I didn't have enough experience and knowledge, so I spent a lot of time reading and researching what my options were.

I'm glad that took my time as I feel the choice I made was the right one for me.

I am now looking for my next upgrade to compliment the 120ED and am mulling over getting a 12" Dob.

The choice is between OO VX12l, Revelation and Orion XT12i.

I would have considered a Skywatcher as well but they don't do a 12" solid tube.

Choices, choices.

Avtar

• 2 weeks later...

20, 2, 5 and currently 9 years and looking at my options right now and two pairs of binoculars lets not forget them. My current mount is 10 years old.

I have been studying in the evenings for the last five years and upon graduating have promised myself a new scope given I will have more free time! I really do feel that I have had great value from all of them.

My first was the TAL2 which is brilliant but I succumbed to aperture fever after about a year and got the 200p which I fitted to the modified TAL mount, then I came across another 200p on an Eq5 for a price I could not refuse! Owing to weather and other circumstances I have not really had a chance to get to know the 200p yet, so I would think it would be quite some time before I will feel the need to upgrade! (At least that's what I tell myself now!)

Archived