Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath Opinions & Alternatives

Mav359

Hi Guys

I bought an old motorhome after SGL8 mostly because i don't think i could live through the horror of cleaning and packing up whilst stood in a swamp ever again :embarrassed:  but the other reason i bought it was that because i live in a heavy LP area i wanted to get out to dark skies more often and as quick & easy as possible.

The plan in my mind is me finishing work on a Friday jumping in the van and driving from work to a site for the weekend maybe once a month. I work in Kentish Town so Kelling is about 130miles away and because im already that side of London it makes the most sense to drive in that direction. I plan to do Galloway & Kielder this year but they aren't quick jollies so this makes sense.

I just wanted a opinion on the skies, the site and if  there are any alternatives anyone could recommend

Cheers

Kelling's fabulous - I go twice a year to the equinox star parties - the sky is very dark and plastered with stars and the milky way is visible most clear nights. It can get windy and the rain can be persistent for days - but when it's good it's perfect. :)

The place red dwalf refers to is Manor Farm Campsite at Anderby near Skegness. Also a very good place for astronomy but a fair bit further than Kelling. Hth :)

At least you can pick the weekend so all you need is one in 4 to be reasonably clear.

Also you can head any direction, so if the clear possibility is West you go that way, it doesn't have to be North and/or East.

Could also check what Sidmouth (NLO) have planned, about 4 hours away I suppose, think they may have a Messier Marathon weekend next month, but not heard anything about it.

You could break the trip to there up by getting to Cartgate services on the A303 North of Yeovil and sleeping there overnight. It has toilets and a reasonable "transport" cafe on the site. Good place to know about. The cafe was modernised and is now a fair size.

At least you can pick the weekend so all you need is one in 4 to be reasonably clear.

Also you can head any direction, so if the clear possibility is West you go that way, it doesn't have to be North and/or East.

Could also check what Sidmouth (NLO) have planned, about 4 hours away I suppose, think they may have a Messier Marathon weekend next month, but not heard anything about it.

You could break the trip to there up by getting to Cartgate services on the A303 North of Yeovil and sleeping there overnight. It has toilets and a reasonable "transport" cafe on the site. Good place to know about. The cafe was modernised and is now a fair size.

A 4 hour journey I'd do in one hit i just wanted to find a good dark sky site in reasonably short distance so that for the quick weekends its not a massive trek. I could do Galloway every week but wouldn't fancy sitting in the van for 8 hours and be completely knackered. 3hours and 130/140 miles is reasonable and only one tank of petrol.

As for the facilities I'm bringing them with me :grin:

I think after some of this feedback I'll make the first try Kelling, if i get on with that trip i may just keep that and re-visit.

Cheers

The skies at Kelling are not as good as they were - there is more light pollution appearing round the horizons, especially to the south - i don't really think it is the Nirvana that it might be portrayed.

I have never been there on a non-astro weekend. It is a big site with great camping facilities, so if you land on a popular weekend, there will be a lot of non-astronomers about, with brightly illuminated tents and vans. The toilet blocks will be beacons of light too, so try to pick a pitch away from them, or shielded by trees. But once most folk have gone to bed, you might be able to get a few hours without too much disturbance.

Most campsites are fairly well illuminated at night, making finding one good for observing a bit of a challenge. Some have a more remote field or rally field that you might be able to set up on which might be quieter. A few years back I looked round at all the local campsites for a club weekend, but could not really come up with anything suitable - so you may just need to search round and try a few out. 

Sorry I can't recommend anywhere in your neck of the woods - the Dower House at Thetford was a good spot when the Equinox SP went there - the main reason for moving was the site had become too small - i don't know what it's like these days...

Callum

It is frustrating when you've been booked up for a star party then get there to be clouded out. I was planning to take advantage of any run of good weather and go at short notice, Dower House was one I had in mind. I have been looking at some of the sites in the Cool Camping book, some of which are eco friendly and would likely keep stray lighting to a minimum. Some have secluded pitches which could shield lights from other campers. The only downside is that not all take camper cans but there are plenty that do. The cool camping website has a site search which includes vans. I noticed there are quite a few sites in Sussex.

Try the Dower House Touring Park near Thetford in South Norfolk. That was the original venue for Equinox Sky Camp. Not as far a drive for you but just as dark as Kelling.

Thanks Graham - thats only 45mins from me. Definitely be checking that out. Owe you one.

Archived