Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher nirvana's .

rory

The Nirvana's are the same as the William Optics UWAN's and the Orion (USA) Megavista's and all these lines seem to have been limited to the 4 focal lengths. When William Optics launched the range they said that they were hoping to increase the number of focal lengths available but it never happened.

I've used the 28mm 16mm and 4mm in the range and found them very good eyepieces that delivered 95% or more of the performance you get from the equivalent Tele Vue Nagler. 

If there had been more of them I think they would occupy the niche that the Explore Scientific 82 degree EP's seem to now hold as a worthy alternative to a Nagler at somewhat less cost.

A few years back I sold a 16mm WO UWAN and added a fair bit to the proceeds to buy a 16mm Nagler. There was barely any difference in optical performance and the UWAN had slightly longer and more comfortable eye relief.

I believe the Naglers start to earn their extra £'s a little more as the focal ratio of the scope drops to F/4.5 and faster though.

Not many focal lengths to choose from which is a shame as they are cracking eyepieces.just need the 28mm which is a beast...but would thoroughly recomend the nirvanas... very good optics and good value for money

Not many focal lengths to choose from which is a shame as they are cracking eyepieces.just need the 28mm which is a beast...but would thoroughly recomend the nirvanas... very good optics and good value for money

You wont regret getting the 28mm. There's some nights its the only eyepiece that gets taken out the case :)

You wont regret getting the 28mm. There's some nights its the only eyepiece that gets taken out the case :)

Faulksy has put a heads up.someones selling the full set on abs going to check my finances if ok might get the 28mm

just one thing that puts me off slightly is its a big lump off glass which might cause balancing issues...but could be remedied with counter weights

Faulksy has put a heads up.someones selling the full set on abs going to check my finances if ok might get the 28mm

just one thing that puts me off slightly is its a big lump off glass which might cause balancing issues...but could be remedied with counter weights

The 28mm UWAN / Nirvana is a big lump - it weighs about 2 lbs. I compared it to my Nagler 31mm and a Pentax XW 30mm here, if it's of any interest:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/53645-3-big-eyepieces/

They're mine - for sale here too now.  They're really VERY good (especially that 28mm beastie), but I'm trying to raise some funds for a CCD whilst not currently employed(!).  If they sell, I'll be replacing them again in the future.

Archived