NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C9.25 and Bobs Knobs

Mr Spock

I fitted Bob's Knobs to the C9.25 a week or so ago but haven't had chance to get out until tonight.

The fitting was quite easy. The recommended method of changing one screw at a time didn't work for me though - too fiddly. As I was going to have to collimate anyway I found it easer to take the secondary out. There's a collar you can unscrew and, once that's off, the secondary housing comes out easily. It only fits one way so you can't put it back wrong. With the secondary out, the knobs fitted in seconds. It was also a good opportunity to get a little dust off the secondary.

I did a rough collimation in the house by looking down the tube from about 2-3 metres away. It's not easy holding steady enough to get concentric rings but near enough is ok.

Tonight I was able to do a star test. Using Bob's Knobs is so much easier than trying to use a screwdriver. As I never know which way to turn the screws it took me about ten minutes to get a perfect star test. I must learn which way to turn things!

And the result? I have stars with a clean airy disc and Jupiter's belts are full of detail. In fact, I'm going back out there right now! Success :)

Bob’s Knobs were the first thing I bought for my CPC925, but I’ve been putting off fitting them until I feel the collimation need. :-) Just the thought of going anywhere near the Secondary is giving me the heeby-jeebeez.

D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great tip! Can you remember what length you ordered?

My A2A4 invoice shows ( M3 X 20 K/T Screws 464) so i think 20mm but i did need to pack them out a bit with some 3mm washers, which also makes them easier to turn as there's a better gap, i think there's a £5 minimum order so you could go for 20mm and 16mm 3 of each....

http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/M3_KNURLED_THUMB_SCREWS_H_T_464-1.html

My A2A4 invoice shows ( M3 X 20 K/T Screws 464) so i think 20mm but i did need to pack them out a bit with some 3mm washers, which also makes them easier to turn as there's a better gap, i think there's a £5 minimum order so you could go for 20mm and 16mm 3 of each....

http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/M3_KNURLED_THUMB_SCREWS_H_T_464-1.html

Many thanks mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived