NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 22 Feb

simmo39

Went out last night with not much hope of getting anything as it seemed a bit hazy. Well what a surprise!! Did a few takes of Jupiter, thought they looked a bit poor but gave them a go anyway. Well what a shock, Jupiter came out well but what was even more of a shock is that I got a transit shadow. I didnt see it when I was viewing.

feb22b_zpsb3ed775e.png

feb22e1_zps9f66dfdd.png

other than the orientation that is a really nice image! excellent detail on the surface and a transit very nicely captured well done!

Orientation, thats Norfolk for you! lol. thanks, was too excited by the results to get it right way up.

Very nice image, well done! You've managed to get some nice detail coming through on the cloud belts. Well done for capturing the shadow transit too, even if it was unintentional!  :wink:

I would have forgotten what the planets looked like if it wasn't for pictures like yours, it's been so long since I was last out!

Great capture and a jaunty angle on Jupiter.    Apparently the convention is South up, to match inverted telescope view - though most seem to post North up in these parts which I find simpler to grasp.   Though it's not really an issue and detail, colour and image scale are much more important.

Might be my monitor here, but in the first image there appear to be some vertical lines, which stand out more on the darker left and right sides (in this orientation) - perhaps some fixed pattern noise from the sensor?   Not so pronounced in the 2nd and 3rd versions.     What focal length and sensor were you using?

Otherwise nice detail in the process and very respectable shot.

Great capture and a jaunty angle on Jupiter.    Apparently the convention is South up, to match inverted telescope view - though most seem to post North up in these parts which I find simpler to grasp.   Though it's not really an issue and detail, colour and image scale are much more important.

Might be my monitor here, but in the first image there appear to be some vertical lines, which stand out more on the darker left and right sides (in this orientation) - perhaps some fixed pattern noise from the sensor?   Not so pronounced in the 2nd and 3rd versions.     What focal length and sensor were you using?

Otherwise nice detail in the process and very respectable shot.

Hi thanks for the tips, Im using a SW127 mak not sure what the focal length is. The imaging device is a Neximage 5.  I have had a few problems with the vertical lines on a few images, is there a way to get rid of them or at least reduce the prominance?

Hi thanks for the tips, Im using a SW127 mak not sure what the focal length is. The imaging device is a Neximage 5.  I have had a few problems with the vertical lines on a few images, is there a way to get rid of them or at least reduce the prominance?

Those little Maks seem to shoot well above their weight, particularly for planetary - even more impressed with the shot :)    Native focal length is 1500mm I believe, so around focal ratio would be around F12.     The Neximage 5 has 2592 x 1944 very small pixels, 2.2um - so probably pushing it to try longer focal lengths.    Though might be worth a play with a 2x barlow in very good seeing.

I know very little about the NI5's - though I did find this link on Cloudy Nights, which suggest the FPN is a known issue and just a case of tweaking exposure/gain settings to minimise.      Good link anyway, with a very similar scale picture of Jupiter with the Mak127 and some nice lunar shots.

Those little Maks seem to shoot well above their weight, particularly for planetary - even more impressed with the shot :)    Native focal length is 1500mm I believe, so around focal ratio would be around F12.     The Neximage 5 has 2592 x 1944 very small pixels, 2.2um - so probably pushing it to try longer focal lengths.    Though might be worth a play with a 2x barlow in very good seeing.

I know very little about the NI5's - though I did find this link on Cloudy Nights, which suggest the FPN is a known issue and just a case of tweaking exposure/gain settings to minimise.      Good link anyway, with a very similar scale picture of Jupiter with the Mak127 and some nice lunar shots.

Thanks for the link, Im no pooter wiz so some of the stuff they mention is over my head but ill give it a go. If I can get the hang of it I may post my pics in the big boy section. lol.

Archived