Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Session - March 1, 2014

L8-Nite

Hi Folks,

Our next scheduled South Wales Group observing meet will be held March 1st.  2014 at the Blaenavon radio tower site.  For those who haven't attended before, the site coordinates are.......

+51* 47' 25.57" ,   -3* 4' 10.74"

Since some of you may have to travel far (30+ miles for me),  I'll post if the meet is going ahead based on the predicted weather forecast.  Check this thread in the afternoon, on the day, to see if its either a " GO " or a " NO GO "

Think clear skies !  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well prayer mat went out of the window, Buddha's in the bin contemplating sacrificing virgins but don't think I can find one in Cardiff so switched to sacrificing a goat but the guards at Maindy Barracks took exception ( and they've got guns). :shocked:  :shocked:

Will be good to get out this weekend hopefully, will be away for hols after that for a few weeks. What a shocker of a winter! Just so wet everywhere. Did get out for a bike ride today and saw the sun for a bit so I did my Mumm-ra impression. Think I frightened a couple of great t*ts.

It's not looking good for us.... We don't get much luck do we! Im gonna probably make a decision whether or not to risk it tomorrow afternoon based on weather reports at that time. The missus is putting me under pressure as she wants to invite friends of ours over for food Saturday night. At the moment I've told her to arrange it for another night but if I leave it like that and then end up not taking a trip to Blaenavon.... I may not even have a telescope come Sunday morning!!

Unfortunately I wont be making this one as am up Stafford visiting family and celebrating my birthday and I have decided to buy skymax127 tube, so the weather is going to turn foul sorry guys but i think i may have put the mockers on it!1 there yo go you can blame me.

The window of opportunity appears to be very narrow tomorrow evening at the moment but tonight looks like it could be fantastic so I'm just getting ready to set up as well. Might even stay out long enough to see Mars rise above No.16's garage :grin:

Seems unlikely for tomorrow again

Check back here about 15:00 ( 3: oclock ).

Edit: At the moment, conditions look promising for clear skies from 18:00 - 24: 00 ( 6:00 pm - Midnight )

I'm afraid I was forced to make a call this morning and it looks like I may have got it wrong as the evening forecast has taken a turn for the better. I've had to make other plans so unfortunately won't be there tonight either way. I hop it stays clear for you all.

Weather looks very good for a six hour period, from 18:00 to 24:00 (6 pm - Midnight), so the Observing Session tonight is a " GO ".

Prediction is for clear skies with 1% of cloud, and an average 7 to 20 mph breeze. 

Its going to be cold, so dress appropriately.

I should be there by about 17:30 ( 5:30 pm ), and look forward to to seeing new and familiar faces.   :smile:

Cheers !

Though clear and dry at the site, there was high cloud cover. Lenny & I stayed late, but the clouds did not dissipate as the evening progressed.

:clouds1:   

That's a shame Mike, were you able to get any observing done?

Good morning James. Didn't get any any observing in. There were a few open patches over head when I arrived, but they closed soon after I set up: still It was nice to get out of the house for a change of scenery, even though the weather service let us down. 

Edit :  Will post a new date soon.

Archived