Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about taking video of planets with DSLR.

Cloengaa

Hey all.

I know that for best planetary pictures most say using a webcam taking an avi movie and stacking the frames is best.

Now I seem to not be able to find my modded SPC800 at the moment but I have my Canon EOS 1100D and that makes me wonder.

Would I not get the same result taking a video of lets say Jupiter with that camera and stacking the frames ?

The 1100d does not support digital zoom when video recording which is what the 600d allows and it is that feature that enables a dslr to capture OK planet video as the size of the planet in relationship to the sensor is much greater if you can use digital zoom as it crops the image but uses all the sensor (some thing like that). Video on my 1100d of Jupiter is a planet smaller then a small thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my 1100d and backyard EOS to image Jupiter and it works well. In planetary mode Backyard EOS captures individual frames at 30 fps as well as the avi. Stacking the individual frames in registax seems to produce better results than stacking using the avi, not sure why. I use the celestron c8 and eyepiece projection and get good image scale but its a long focal length scope so easy to achieve good scale.

Archived