Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Main Sequence Generator..........

Mav359

Hi

I have been playing with it for the last few months , and I am very happy with it

Sequences are easy to do runs my camera , filter wheel , focuser etc with ease but that's not the thing to me

The plate solving and target centring is just fantastic , point sgp to a reference image and it will than slew my scope and get it within 10 pixels all automaticaly 

A real time saver to me , :kiss:

Target planning is very easy to plan as well

Really powerful package for a silly price of 99 bucks ( around £60)

highly recommended

Harry

Hi chaps

just trying this out myself and it seems the business. I want to be able to run one instance to control my Lodestar to take an image and then plate solve to slew the mount and then run another instance of SGP to take an image through my spectroscope with my Atik ccd and main scope . When this is done I would then close down the first version to launch PHD for guiding phew!!. Seems to work with a dry run but confounded clouds preventing an actual test !!. I`d be interested to see how others are fairing with it.

cheers

Steve

I waiting on a free min to get the obs repaired and put everything back in but i am deffo going to give it a go. I like the idea of an All-In-One piece of software, would love a go at EQMOD but Celestron's aren't supported. This might bridge the gap.

I too use SGPro and have been for a few months now.  I can't recommend it enough, very versatile and functional with an effective autofocus routine.  The Yahoo site is friendly and the developers really do respond quickly.  As Harry said, the plate solving is tremendous and I find it to be far better than AstroTortilla which I just couldn't get to work reliably.  The free Elbrus plate solving engine and database is seamless with SGPro and watching a sequence unfold plate solving and centring on successive targets is very satisfying.  I don't think there is better on the market in terms of quality vs value for money.

Regards,

Barry

Mav359

Sorry forgot to also mention its smooth integration with PHD2 and it's auto-meridian flip routine which utilises its plate solving, switches off auto guiding, restarts auto guiding, autofocuses etc.  Wonderful.  I've not experienced  Maxim, CCD software or other quite expensive suites of applications so it has hard to give you a fair comparison.  However, it is far less expensive . . .

HTH

Barry 

Hi

I have installed the local version of astronomy .net ( free )

Works really well , blind solving no hints required :)

When I start up , I point the scope at a random piece of sky and blind solve and sgp syncs the scope

Perfect alignment at a click of a button --amazing stuff

Harry

Yep, been using it about a year. Fantastic - automates everything (and closes it down at the end of the night too). Let's you go back to the same target night after night automatically as well if you want to.

I use Elbrus with it (it's quicker) and allow it to "failback" to astronomy.net if needed (which is rare).

dmahon, I do the same with Astr.net as a fall over.

Harry, I found that entering the scale to 3 decimal places (read off the results of a plate solve) in the control panel/equipment profile improved the Elbrus success rate.  Don't know if you tried this?

Barry

Interested in how accurate plate solving actually is!. My Atik CCD has a pixel size of 6.45 microns which is looking through a 23 micron slit so to get a spectrum from a star on my Atik I'd be looking at an accuracy within 3 to 4 pixels. This sort of accuracy achievable with Elbrus at all please?

Steve

I havn't used it since its beta stage but I always found its error routines lacking, in that it would just lock up if anything went wrong and require a restart to sort it out

A bit unfair to judge it on the basis of an early beta, it seems to be pretty solid now and, as said, bug fixes and improvements are frequent. The authors are very active on their Yahoo Groups list and respond quickly to queries, it only took about 3 days to get an issue I had sorted out with autofocus (where my motor had 182,000 steps which exceeded the 100,000 limit). So it's worth a re-visit I think to check out the latest version.

ChrisH

Archived