NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is Uranus and Neptune achievable with my setup

oldpink

as of last night I did Jupiter, then mars followed by Saturn then Venus early in the morning
I want to try to achieve all the planets fairly quickly and I know mercury will be tricky due to the sun
but the outer gas planets beyond Jupiter I feel may be pushing my setup beyond its limits
apart from seeing something bigger than a star maybe like Mars hard to view or even image but you know its a planet

any tips on getting decent views of the outer planets would be appreciated esp times or what to look out for

You can see them both with 10x50 binoculars if you know where to look so, yes, your setup should be quite adequate. They both just look like tiny pale disks of light through a scope, even a large one at high magnifications. They are a long, long way away after all  :smiley:

Worth seeing though, I think.

For viewing the planets, I like to follow my Sky and Scope magazine that gives a detailed outlook in what can be seen in the night sky.  I have seen Uranus but it was quite small.  I have to admit that I felt more like celebrating after seeing Mercury because it was seen for such a short time after the sun set.  For this little [removed word], it's all about timing.

According to Sky and Scope magazine, March will not be Neptune friendly since they will be to low in the horizon when twilight appears.  However, they state that Mercury will shine low in the east in early morning.  Unfortunately, Uranus will also be hard to see next month.  Take your time in becoming acquainted with our fellow "wanderers"- the planets.  They will surprise you time and time again.  Till you see all of them, may I suggest trying to glimpse some of the amazing Messier objects out there!  Have fun and clear skies!

Isabelle

I've managed both with the same scope as yours. Uranus  had a very dull green hue wear as Neptune was a very distinct deep blue, not much to see really but when you think about exactly what your seeing & how far away they are, they are both very impressive sights.

Steve

I've seen Uranus with my setup through fairly heavy light pollution low down in the sky - it appeared as a distinct blue star-like object at 60x magnification, and resolved to a fuzzy blue disc at higher magnifications (up to 240x confirmed the disc-like view)

I believe with bigger aperture scopes that the colour will be more apparent, so your 8" should be just fine to view both Uranus and Neptune.

Hope this helps.

Scope should do both, as fairly faint oddly coloured, greenish and blueish, points or small disks.

Being slightly wary I suspect that the 2 eyepieces you have, standard 25mm and 10mm, that you may need to be upgraded. The supplied items are not known for the outstanding performance.

Iv managed Uranus with my much smaller piece of kit while it was in the glare of the moon (a silly time to try I know but it was the only chance I had). I could definitely make out the blue disc, so with yours you should have no trouble at all.

Same experience as above.  As you are a fair way north you'll have to be quick to catch Uranus which is only 11deg alt in the West at sunset by the 28th.  Neptune has gone for good at the moment.  I struggled to find both as they are in a part of the sky which is sparsely populated.  I new I'd got them when I picked up the form of a disc rather than a point of light.

Your scope will not be a problem, your location will be. with an 8" scope you will be able to achieve sub second resolution and get to about magnitude 13 which makes Uranus and Neptune easily achievable. Glasgow on the other hand will give you bad skies and poor limiting magnitudes. Also being in Glasgow will limit the altitude of both of them to about 35° at present, which is not too bad but if you have polluted skies it will just make them harder.

If you can get your scope to a dark sky site they will be quite easy but then you'll have to wait for several months to have them in a favourable position, basically try again in September / October.

Your scope will not be a problem, your location will be. with an 8" scope you will be able to achieve sub second resolution and get to about magnitude 13 which makes Uranus and Neptune easily achievable. Glasgow on the other hand will give you bad skies and poor limiting magnitudes. Also being in Glasgow will limit the altitude of both of them to about 35° at present, which is not too bad but if you have polluted skies it will just make them harder.

If you can get your scope to a dark sky site they will be quite easy but then you'll have to wait for several months to have them in a favourable position, basically try again in September / October.

yes I am in a very light polluted area and my location means I can't see anything below 10* above the horizon due to a motorway embankment 

I do plan to use the Galloway forset dark sky sites to do any serious viewing as most nights I'm lucky to be able to see orion

Archived