NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D Modified

Hi Everyone

New to astronomy, thus new to astrophotography, I currently have a Canon 1000D which I would eventually like to use for astrophotography.

I keep seeing references to modified DSLR Camera's and self modified camera's.

Can someone out there explain the process of self modifying or whether it is better to get it done professionally or even if it is needed.

Thanks

Eddie t

Hi Eddie

I'm sure someone who has the knowledge will soon answer, but welcome to SGL.

From what I gather with the DSLR it is a case of removing or replacing the filter that sits on top of the imaging chip. Most with a DSLR will say not to do this yourself as it could be an expensive accident if something goes wrong.

You don't need to mod a DSLR but what that has been done would record more natural images from what I have read. All this depends on how you intend to take your images, to do DSO properly requires a lot of money with the scope  mount and tracking etc.

I'm sure someone will also advise you read the Every Photon Counts book, of which mine should hopefully be delivered tomorrow.

As you are new, I would advise as a fellow newbie, learn what is out there first, what you want to record in imaging later on and then take it from there. My favorite at the moment is just using a normal DSLR with my 300mm lens where I usually take at least 60 1 second images and then stack them in DSS a free piece of software. I've posted links before in some of my threads on how this is done.

So in summary, some good book reading a researching through some YouTube videos will give you some valuable knowledge. 

Hi Eddie, Welcome to SGL. You can use the DSLR quite well without any modification, modding it means you strip it down to remove one of the filters inside, this improves the sensitivity to hydrogen alpha emissions (red response) found in nebula.

I used my Canon 1000d for a year or so imaging galaxys and nebula quite well without modding and would advise newcomers to imaging to get used to using a DSLR without worrying about modding as there is a large learning curve with using the software, guiding and processing images and refining your capture methods.

When you do eventually "need" to modify the camera and your diy skills are pretty good it is not hard to do.

I thought about buying one and modifying it myself and there are great online tuitions that I looked at
even though I work with electronics's and have in the past modified playstations meaning stripping them down 
and soldering in new chips I took the option to buy a pre modified 600D with a replacement lens to allow daytime use as well

Hi Everyone

New to astronomy, thus new to astrophotography, I currently have a Canon 1000D which I would eventually like to use for astrophotography.

I keep seeing references to modified DSLR Camera's and self modified camera's.

Can someone out there explain the process of self modifying or whether it is better to get it done professionally or even if it is needed.

Thanks

Eddie t

Hi and welcome Eddie,

Do not rush to get the camera modded. There are quite a lot of targets that look pretty good even with an unmodded camera, most galaxies look fine. You would need the mod if you are going after nebulea that are rich in hydrogen alpha , beyond this the mod does not affect anything else but a slight increase in sensitivity, If you did decide to mod it and unless you are familar with innards of the camera then I would suggest getting it done by some one who knows what he is doing. I have two modded cameras and a number of ccds and I got my modded 1100d from Juan at cheap astro photography, I think that he charges £130.00 for a full mod including a Baader filter replacement so the camera can be used for daytime photography. Hope this helps.

Regards,

A.G

Ditto A.G.

You need a tracking mount to do these deep sky objects. What mount do you have?

If you're looking at imaging a nebula, find it in Wiki online and it should tell you if it's an emission neb. If it is, it emits mostly in the IR/H Alpha and so wouldn't be a good target for an unmodded camera, but if it's a reflection neb it'll be fine. The Orion Neb is both reflection and emission so is a good target, but it's only visible in winter and early spring.

Alexxx

Hi

Welcome to SGL.

I thought about modding a dslr as I already owned a 40D.

But when I started reserching and watching these online videos I chickened out and bought a modded 1100D

(again from Juan @ cheapastrophotography)

You don't need to mod a camera, you don't need a tracking mount or guiding, just a realistic sense of what you would like to achieve.

There is a wide spectrum of imagers on SGL all with different levels of equipment and experience.

I'm still starting out but have obtained some images that I'm really pleased with......and at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Have fun once you journey to The Dark Side ! :grin:

Regards

Neil

Archived