NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've bought a big Dob...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the good wishes etc. I'm really looking forward to using the big boy.

A proper first light report will be delayed as last night didn't go according to plan. I had some quick views of the most obvious targets: Jupiter, Orion Nebula and the Plaiedes and the scope was obviously a but out of collimation after its travels. The views were enough to show what will be possible though. Stopped for dinner and went back out to find a layer of cloud ( so much for the forecast) so I retreated back indoors.

I will need to concentrate on the collimation adjustments and then have another go.I have an old laser collimater which I tried but I wonder if it's still working OK as the red spot seems very spread out and diffuse after reflection.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes etc. I'm really looking forward to using the big boy.

A proper first light report will be delayed as last night didn't go according to plan. I had some quick views of the most obvious targets: Jupiter, Orion Nebula and the Plaiedes and the scope was obviously a but out of collimation after its travels. The views were enough to show what will be possible though. Stopped for dinner and went back out to find a layer of cloud ( so much for the forecast) so I retreated back indoors.

I will need to concentrate on the collimation adjustments and then have another go.I have an old laser collimater which I tried but I wonder if it's still working OK as the red spot seems very spread out and diffuse after reflection.

try your laser with a barlow

A proper first light report is delayed due to lack of clear skies - at least for any reasonable period.

However, I have had a quick look at some old favourites and I am excited by the possibilities.

Jupiter was a wealth of detail and looked just like a good image. The Orion Nebula was spectacular - stretching beyond what I've seen before and showing a distinct green tinge. M45 was great too with nebulosity clearly visible. And these DSOs were just a quick glance really with no dark adaption etc.

Mars was disappointing and I tried for an hour or so one morning but could not see any more than with the SCT but I came to the conclusion that the limiting factor was the seeing.

I am still looking forward to a good clear spell with no moon to put the scope through its paces.

I'm loving the quick and easy set up but I do have to get used to getting smooth movement in tracking objects.

It takes just minutes to trundle him out the garage, do a quick collimation check and point at an object. At the moment I have to use the front doors of the garage (but I have plans!) and I'm sure that the neighbours must be intrigued by this beast being dragged across the lawn!

Kerry

Very nice scope you have, and a great size too. It is interesting when you say that until you used the forum you did not think a bob would be for you. I used to be the same but now that I have had one for about a year, it is the scope that gets used the most. The simplicity of set up etc with no faffing about, you are observing in no time. :smile:

Congrats on your 14" Dob Kerry you make me envious with my 10", However I have to lug mine up & down Stairs into the car then out into the Forest for dark skies each time I want to use mine :grin: ,

One thing I have done with my Dob is fit a Lazysusan Bearing to the base!, Wow what a difference it makes to nudging the scope round  with ease,   http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/lazy-susan-bearings/lazy-susan-bearing-12-inch-round/ I fitted the 12" one to my scope I have seen 14" as well, :smiley: .

Archived