NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another ortho question...

jetstream

Seeing as Baader only makes a few FL orthos,I decided to give a Kokusai Kohki 7mm ortho a try (Fujiyama).Are all the Fuji orthos's optically the same regardless of brand name?A person would think so,but any info/experiece will be great.My BCO 18mm is fantastic and hope that this KK will be of the same standard

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gerry,

My understanding is that there is only one manufacturer in Japan making these orthos now so the Astro Hutech, Fujiyama's and the University Optics HD orthos are all from that source.

At one point recently I was able to compare the Baader GO,  Astro Hutech and Fujiyama 6mm orthos and they all performed in exactly the same way to my eyes. 

The only difference you will find at the 7mm focal length is that the Fujiyama reaches focus around 8mm further out than the Baader GO and Astro Hutech 7mm's because the Fujiyama body housing is a little shorter.

I agree that the Baader Classic 18mm is superb but expect the Fujiyama to be just as good albeit with a 42 rather than 50 degree apparent field of view.

Thanks John,after using the 18mm ortho I have wanted to "fill in" the spaces between the 6mm and 8mm Delos.The 7mm will see a fair bit of use on Jupiter etc and I think a 5mm ortho might give me a chance on a Sirius split-conditions permitting.Your information is much appreciated. :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

So new months coming up,  will I just save my pennies for the 14mm Delos or will that ortho disease get the better of me :grin:.  I was thinking the Astro Hutech 7mm, that way I'll find out once and for all if I could live with that ultra tight eyerelief,  get it out of my system for future investments and decide if I will ever do the ortho dance or not again. I expect that slot will become a pentax XW 7mm in future at some stage anyway.

Talk some sense into me. Perhaps there is something wrong with me, last month I had that strong buying urge wanting to get that 6mm upgraded, which I now have done with the Radian so that buying hunger is not really there this month.  The pendulum is swinging towards stowing into the saving pot,

As long as I don't have a beer or two in a weekend night and stop ogling the web or FLO website that can always have some strange side effects.  So far though, beer has not bought me  anything except some more beer  and I have not done the eyepiece Russell purchase  :grin:

Gerry,

I have a Kasai 18mm as I was unable to get my hands on a BGO whilst in England, I also bought a 12.5mm Hutech from FLO for the exact same reason.

There was also a mark-up war raging at the time and I most likely got the Hutech for less than I would have bought a S/H BGO.

The up shot is I cannot see any difference in optical quality between all these makes. BGO, Hutech, and Kasai, albeit they are differing focal lengths. The odd thing is with the BGO and Kasai the boxes are the exact same colour and the inner packing the exact same size and colour. In agreement with John they all seem to be made under one roof. I like orthos now, I am going to get a 5mm and 25mm next time over the water.

Hutech did go for a black box which bucks the trend.

Alan

Hi Alan,great to here the new orthos compare well to the BGO.My new 7mm KK Fuji is giving great views of Jupiter,last night I saw a white oval left of the GRS-in time I hope to get enough use of the ortho to give a half decent report.The cost for the 7mm KK was $105.00,free shipping and Agena Astro threw in a nice plastic case-great touch....and a $10.00 first time customer discount for the next order,I'll be dealing there often.This Fuji looks and feels great.I will star split test it and if the 7mm performs,the 5mm will be on its way-still trying for Sirius.....and I need serious help!!LOL! :grin: Atmosphere just not being kind for this task...

Great that you got nice view of 7mm Fuji ortho, can't wait for your more detailed report.

A bitoff topic here (not entirely though), anyone has the chance to test Takahashi Abbe Ortho? Should be produced in the same Japanese factory if there's only one left, but the design looks a little different?

post-30887-0-32863000-1393433474.png

Look forward to the reports Gerry. On a related note I meant  to ask my question in a different thread sorry, as I created a similar one but somehow ended up posting it here by mistake. Mods feel free to move it.  It was this one.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207288-to-ortho-or-not-thats-the-question/

Hi Alex,your post fits in here too!Well the views through my Delos are great,I love them,but the ortho's will fit in nicely as well-so far the 7mm has not dissapointed in any way.It is not only competing with the Delos,but depending on conditions besting them at times.I have to figure out what conditions are causing this....doesn't really matter,I just try them all and if one works better it stays in the focuser! :smiley:

Those XW's are supposed to be among the best,can't go wrong there and a few orthos thrown into the mix may give you obs options you wouldn't have without them.Dupilcate EP fl no big deal,I have 4 in the 16mm-18mm range of which one may go,but these EP are worth it to me for various reasons(they really work)-my nebula killers.I wouldn't think it is a matter of either the XW or the ortho,it's a matter of waiting to get both, in time

Great that you got nice view of 7mm Fuji ortho, can't wait for your more detailed report.

A bitoff topic here (not entirely though), anyone has the chance to test Takahashi Abbe Ortho? Should be produced in the same Japanese factory if there's only one left, but the design looks a little different?

attachicon.gifTAO.png

Hey Yong,I have an idea!You try one out and tell me if it is worth the price difference!!LOL! :grin: then I'll take the plunge... :evil::laugh: actually you have me almost convinced to order one :shocked:

attachicon.gifTAO.png

I've enquired about these with a few Takahashi dealers in the UK including the Widescreen Center in London. These eyepieces were news to all of them !

Simon at the Widescreen Center appreciated the "heads up" though and was going to get in touch with Takahashi to find out more. I should have asked if they would loan me some to review shouldn't I ?  :rolleyes2:

Preliminary reports on the US forum indicate that the TAK abbe orthos could be a slight improvement over the Baader GO's but not quite in the Zeiss ZAO league. Initial reactions can be rather misleading though, in my experience.

I've enquired about these with a few Takahashi dealers in the UK including the Widescreen Center in London. These eyepieces were news to all of them !

Simon at the Widescreen Center appreciated the "heads up" though and was going to get in touch with Takahashi to find out more. I should have asked if they would loan me some to review shouldn't I ?  :rolleyes2:

Preliminary reports on the US forum indicate that the TAK abbe orthos could be a slight improvement over the Baader GO's but not quite in the Zeiss ZAO league. Initial reactions can be rather misleading though, in my experience.

it will be interesting to read more reports on these, had you heard of them john before this topic started ?

it will be interesting to read more reports on these, had you heard of them john before this topic started ?

Theres been a couple of threads on them on the Cloudynights forum over the past couple of months. I think I posted something here before Christmas ?

The big question seems to be whether they are a new ortho or a revision of the Astro Hutech / Fujiyama ones with perhaps higher quality coatings, baffling etc. I've not seen anything convincing either way on that as yet.

@John seem the Takahashi's German dealer is a little ahead here:

http://www.intercon-spacetec.de/schnaeppchen/okulare/

Interesting to see some EU pricing on these. The 32mm will be a novelty in the ortho design  :smiley:

If they do turn out to exceed the performance of the Baader GO / Astro Hutech / Fujiyama's they will be very popular at those prices I should think. 

Kokusai Kohki specifies that their lenses are multicoated on all 4 air to glass surfaces http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html ,Takahashi says all lenses are fully multicoated to enhance contrasthttp://www.takahashiamerica.com/includes/link.htm?target=http://www.takahashiamerica.com/eyepieces_abbe.htm&title=Takahashi%20Abbe%20Orthoscopic%20Eyepiece%20Series.I understand there are pro's and cons to both .

Interesting to see some EU pricing on these. The 32mm will be a novelty in the ortho design  :smiley:

Noone has made 32mm Abbe ortho before? too long ER?

i looked at the 4mm ish and it was 212 is that euros ?

I can only see 6/9/12.5/18/25/32mm, between 129 and 189 Euro.

It may well have been nice to have someone like John look at some of the Tak offerings, however if they are the same as BGO dressed in designer cloths then maybe , if the dealers knew they would not have been forthcoming.

I may well see If I can get them over here, I want 5mm and 25mm focal lengths in orthoscopics so I may just buy one and see if they are better. The only trouble is what do I make a comparison with, I didn't see a 5mm Tak in the links and at the other end, 25mm, I can only compare with the Panoptic 24mm or Nagler 26mm.

Alan

When I see words like a huge step up from the BCO's I wonder somewhat, I have never really seen anything I would say was a huge step up on anything, that said it will not break me to buy one and see for myself.

Alan

I agree Alan. Some of the language used is somewhat extreme in some of these reports. Terms such as "blows away" and "smokes" are just not appropriate from my experience.

I suppose though that "just a little better under some circumstances" and "slight improvement" won't grab the attention !   :rolleyes2:

John,

You and I use words such as, a little better and slight improvement and we seem to have a fair following on site. I regularly get PM's asking advice and I know you do, if only from me.

The one thing I don't understand is why Baader who make the BCO's no longer make the the BGO when the same factory seem to turn out eyepiece which you feel are the same, I.E. Hutech and maybe even Kasai.

Alan

I suppose though that "just a little better under some circumstances" and "slight improvement" won't grab the attention !   :rolleyes2:

That actually can be a problem for someone who just happen to come across one of your review :smiley:

People need to read more of your reviews before having some grasp about how many steps can be between these little difference.

Archived