just left of the moon,is that really Jupiter?

Just gotta tell someone,got out my dob 130p ,had a big WOw moment just looking at the moon , then the bright light to the left,was that Jupiter and I think 5 moons ? , if so ,worth every penny already.better go to the doctors ,think I've got the bug !!.

Yes but I think you may find it's  4 moons, the other may be a distant star.

Do you have Stellarium? If not it's a free download most valuable and it will show you what you are looking at as well as how to find objects.

The bug gets worse, especially with this poor weather.

I was looking up at the Moon and Jupiter around 6.30 last night when the ISS suddenly showed up. I looked around me (in the Aldi carpark) but there was no one nearby that I could try to get excited about it all! So I stood there with my personal Wow moment until the ISS passed into Earth shadow.

Yes it was Jupiter. Got a really great view of it and its 4 Galileans satellites. The Moon was so bright I could barely last a couple of minutes watching it (I still don't have any moon filter yet).

Funny how I wanted the moon to show up 2 weeks ago and now I just want it to go back hiding so I can check better at DSO :-)

Great night last night in Quebec, though ended early by clouds at 8:30pm.

How long is the GRS visible for?

Sidereal period is just under ten hours, so it's visible for roughly 5 hours in every 10.

I use this free app on my iphone. It has a couple of typos in the moons' names, but it's excellent for giving both their positions and the GRS transits.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jupiter-guide/id432767581?mt=8

thanks for replies.

So if it was visible at 22.56hrs tonight there would be plenty of time to see it and not just at that exact time, 22.55 it wouldn't be there and 22.57 it would be gone.

I'll have to have a look at that app, see if I can get hold of it on android.

thanks for replies.

So if it was visible at 22.56hrs tonight there would be plenty of time to see it and not just at that exact time, 22.55 it wouldn't be there and 22.57 it would be gone.

Yep, there'll be plenty of time to see the transit. The times on the Sky and Telescope site are for when the GRS is in the centre of Jupiter, so there's a good 50mins before and after that when the GRS will be at its best.

Cheers

Archived