Baader Hyperion in skywatcher 200p?

Russko13

Hi there I'm currently saving for a skywatcher ed80 frac and have decided on the baader Hyperion eyepieces for it just wondering as I'm getting a 200p dob for my birthday if these will preform well in both scopes, the ed80 is f7.5 but the dob is at f5.91, I'm quite temped to drop from the 8 inch dob to the 6 inch as I know being also f7 range the hyperions will preform better anyone have any experience with the 200p?

I must be a bit more fussy or something ! :rolleyes2:

I think the Hyperions show quite a lot of astigmatism when the focal ratio gets faster than around F/7. They are nicely made eyepieces though and the view through the central 70% or so of the field is very nice.

I sense they are "tried & tested"? Remembering: Baader Hyperions were perhaps the FIRST eyepiece to make

*significant* inroads into the (notably "Cloudy Nights"!) TeleView ETHOS: "Nagler Good - the Rest Baad(er)"?  :p

Cash flow problems persuaded me to part with quite a few Hyperions :o They retain good second-hand value! ;)

Now I am going to buy (many) of them back. I doubt I will use them in my 8" / F4 VIDEO light bucket *visually* lol.

But they used to work rather well in my MAK 150. Newer eyepieces are fashionable (better at F5... F4... Maybe!)

Better the Devil you know? The Baader *Aspherics* present an even greater conundrum? But

perhaps the FIRST one (31mm) I will "buy-back"? The jury is even more firmly out on those... :D

If I buy a new scope, it will be F6 or greater? For now, I prefer (no-eyepiece) VIDEO Astronomy.  :)

I must be a bit more fussy or something ! :rolleyes2:

I think the Hyperions show quite a lot of astigmatism when the focal ratio gets faster than around F/7. They are nicely made eyepieces though and the view through the central 70% or so of the field is very nice.

I used to feel the same John but recently i picked up a 17mm Hyperion and it worked very nicely in the F5.9 refractor and not entirely shabby in the f4.5 8" OO. I remember some focal lengths worked better than others. For instance from memory the 13mm and 17mm were the pick of the Hyperion range. The 21mm and 24mm were the weakest. And the 5mm and 8mm were okay. But when i looked through the 17mm i wondered what i had seen to make me think it couldn't hold up at F6.

I still feel its heavily over priced at £97, especially with the Celestron X-Cel LX available for £60, which i  think is better corrected than the Hyperion. 

I used to feel the same John but recently i picked up a 17mm Hyperion and it worked very nicely in the F5.9 refractor and not entirely shabby in the f4.5 8" OO. I remember some focal lengths worked better than others. For instance from memory the 13mm and 17mm were the pick of the Hyperion range. The 21mm and 24mm were the weakest. And the 5mm and 8mm were okay. But when i looked through the 17mm i wondered what i had seen to make me think it couldn't hold up at F6.

I still feel its heavily over priced at £97, especially with the Celestron X-Cel LX available for £60, which i  think is better corrected than the Hyperion. 

Yes, there is some variation across the Hyperion range Russ. 

I've just sold a Celestron X-Cel LX and it was pretty well corrected across the FoV even in my F/5.3 dob. 

If I was going to spend getting £50-£100 per eyepiece I'd forgo the FoV and go for Tele Vue plossls I think. Plus some Astro Hutech / Fujiyama orthos at the shorter focal lengths.

The TV Plossls are great, really nicely corrected and a wonderful view. But for some reason whenever i buy one, i just sell it again. Not sure why. Perhaps it is the afov?  But starting from scratch in 2014 and all i have now is a mismatch of cheap plossls. And no desire to upgrade them either. So perhaps in the end it wasn't afov but just plain old money. Just happier having no investment.

Sounds great. Can't remember but i think its only the 27mm Pan that has the 2" skirt. 

Thats right. The 24mm Panoptic is a 1.25" only eyepiece.

Russko13: The 2" diagonal should come with a 1.25" adapter. You only really need 2" eyepieces in longer focal lengths. It's quite usual to have a set that is mostly 1.25" with a 2" or two for low power / wide field viewing.

Thats right. The 24mm Panoptic is a 1.25" only eyepiece.

Russko13: The 2" diagonal should come with a 1.25" adapter. You only really need 2" eyepieces in longer focal lengths. It's quite usual to have a set that is mostly 1.25" with a 2" or two for low power / wide field viewing.

If you remove the 1.25" elements from the Hyperion you are only left with a set of the same 2" eyepiece i think?

If you remove the 1.25" elements from the Hyperion you are only left with a set of the same 2" eyepiece i think?

Thats my understanding too Russ. Something around 22mm I seem to recall and but not too well corrected ?

Both the 8mm and 13mm convert into 22mm 2-inch eyepieces with the bottom element removed.

There is about 1mm difference between them.

13mm = 22.9

8mm = 21.8

I need 200 magnification, and have been looking at lots of eyepiece combinations and alternatives, including:

£150-240 = 13mm Nagler (barlowed by 2.2x)

£120 = 6mm Radian, second hand and rare as hens teeth

£112 = 8mm Hyperion and 14mm Fine tuning ring

£100 = 13mm Hyperion (barlowed by 2.2x)

£105 = 12mm BST and a true 2x Barlow

£40 = 6mm TMB planetary (can be used on the 3-inch eventually)

Somehow I think that only a Televue will match my other eyepieces, and my expectations.

Going to get the WO 2inch star diagonal so all my eyepieces will have to be 2inch

No need to 'convert' to 2", the diagonal comes with a 2-1.25" adaptor, and don't get rid of your 1.25" ep's, you will still want to use them for planets and Moon.

Wilkey I'm curious to ask do you find 1.25 generally better than the 2 inch for planetary and the moon I only ask because I was tempted to get some televue plossls for the ed80 and 8inch dob as I've heard nothing but good reviews and there a lot cheaper than everyone else I've been looking at really

Wilkey I'm curious to ask do you find 1.25 generally better than the 2 inch for planetary and the moon I only ask because I was tempted to get some televue plossls for the ed80 and 8inch dob as I've heard nothing but good reviews and there a lot cheaper than everyone else I've been looking at really

You don't usually get high powered eyepieces in the 2" fitting - the larger size comes into it's own when you want wide fields of view at low to medium magnifications.

For what it's worth the Tele Vue plossls are superb quality eyepieces - I've owned a couple of sets of them over the years.

Hi, as John rightly says, higher mags do not generally come in 2" fittings, they often stop at around 16mm.  But yes, 1.25" is perfectly good for planets and Moon, I use both the BST Explorer/StarGuiders and the WO SPL's 12.5mm and 6mm, the 6mm gives me 150x on my f/9 frac, and hits the sweet spot for me.

Archived