NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reticule arrrrrggghhh alignment arrrghhhh

I have found that mine holds its setting for a long time now that i changed back to the hex screw adjusters from the thumbscrews the thumbscrews made setting up easier but kept comming loose (maybe a small dot of screwlock would help).

Alan

I have found that mine holds its setting for a long time now that i changed back to the hex screw adjusters from the thumbscrews the thumbscrews made setting up easier but kept comming loose (maybe a small dot of screwlock would help).

Alan

I was thinking gta or a small amount of melted wax on the thread

The true test and the only way I ever done mine was put polaris on the outer black circle and rotate the mount if polaris vererd off the circle I would adjust the small grub screws and repeat until you can turn the mount 360° and polaris stays on the black line. Ive tried the Astronomy shed way but found it wasn't as accurate as it could be.

Hi. 

The O ring  didn't help for me.

Theres a better way. 

Wrap some plumbers PTFE (white) tape around the thread before screwing the reticule back in. Bingo. No slop at all.

I changed those awful hex grub screws for 3 M3 thumbscrews.

Once i'd done this, with the help of Dion's video, i sorted out the polar scope in a couple of minutes.

It seems tricky, and the fact that the polar scope is of poor quality doesn't help, but i soon got the hang of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My god please help me. So now the reticule has fallen out!!! I have placed it back in the polar scope but I fear it's not in the correct position. If the mount is at home ie weights down scope up is there a position that the reticule should be.

Don't panic, Peter, this nowhere near as bad as you think!! Just refit it carry on centring it and then later on there is a small calibration ring that you adjust to align it correctly - all will be well!<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

The Astronomy Shed method uses a TV aerial about 30 yds away and I found that parallax comes into play as one's pupil unavoidably moves while observing. Also, the A S method uses a video camera which helps as the camera is stationary unlike a human pupil. I have installed M3  thumbscrews with a bit of mild tread locker and found them helpful. I feel inclined to finalise my collimation on polaris.

The true test and the only way I ever done mine was put polaris on the outer black circle and rotate the mount if polaris vererd off the circle I would adjust the small grub screws and repeat until you can turn the mount 360° and polaris stays on the black line. Ive tried the Astronomy shed way but found it wasn't as accurate as it could be.

Archived